New Running Rigging

pfaffk

Mar 4, 2011
Hunter 290 Haverstraw
Good Morning,
I had planned on replacing all of my running rigging next Spring, as they have never been replaced and are getting old and worn. But I have one line that is in terrible shape, and I will not put it on a winch because it is so bad. Here NY the boat season lasts until late October so I still have 4 to 5 weeks of sailing left.
Reviewing the various web sites it looks to me that you need a PHD in rope in order to figure out which type to use, so I am going to the great hive mind to seek advice. I have a 2001 Hunter 290 with in-mast furling and the line that pulls the Main out (Outhall ?) is the line that needs immediate replacement. I do not race, and most day sail, with longer 1 to 2 week cruise every so often. What type of rope is best for this application? Also I will need an eye in one end, which I will attempt to do myself, but never having done one it will most likely be crap, and I don't even own fids, yet.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@pfaffk you just need a little confidence. You can do this. It is not rocket science.

Think about the function of the “outhaul”. The outhaul on a sail is one you want to pull into place and have it stay put until you move it again. A bungee cord would not work it would be all over the place.
  1. So you seek a low stretch line. Dyneema is tin the category of options.
  2. Starting there look at costs. If too expensive work down in the no stretch to less expensive very low stretch line. It really is that easy.
  3. Size? Take a piece of the outhaul line to the store. Match it. With line like dyneema you can choose a bit smaller as the line is stronger.
Easy 123.

How long is a personal boat question. You can tie on a length of small cord to serve as a messenger and pull the outhaul line out leaving the messenger in to pull the new line in to the boom.

Or you can measure the line with a tape rule, and add 20% to be sure. You can always use the left over for sail ties, etc. There is always a need for a “wee bit of line” on a boat.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I could go on and on, but if you don't race and for smaller boats, polyester double braid, such as NER Stay Set or Samson XLS, is never a mistake. Just replicate what was there. Samson LS is a bargain line that's pretty darn good.

High tech lines can be really neat, but unless you get the right one, they can also be really bad.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Good Morning,
I had planned on replacing all of my running rigging next Spring, as they have never been replaced and are getting old and worn. But I have one line that is in terrible shape, and I will not put it on a winch because it is so bad. Here NY the boat season lasts until late October so I still have 4 to 5 weeks of sailing left.
Reviewing the various web sites it looks to me that you need a PHD in rope in order to figure out which type to use, so I am going to the great hive mind to seek advice. I have a 2001 Hunter 290 with in-mast furling and the line that pulls the Main out (Outhall ?) is the line that needs immediate replacement. I do not race, and most day sail, with longer 1 to 2 week cruise every so often. What type of rope is best for this application? Also I will need an eye in one end, which I will attempt to do myself, but never having done one it will most likely be crap, and I don't even own fids, yet.
You need it right away or your sailing season is over.... I don't see where you live.. but I recommend you remove the ratty line and take it to your closest chandlery that has some rigging services.... have them duplicate the line while you wait including the spliced eye...shouldn't take more than 1/2 hour.... take new piece back to the boat and reinstall... your season is still active. Wait for season end before starting the DIY... you'll have all winter to become an expert and you can shop around for line... wait for sales.. get advice... etc.... it's a great winter project.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
But since it is the line that holds the clew of the main out tight I would want a very low stretch line. That suggests a dyneema or other high quality line. It's worth the money! If the line stretches the sail will become more full just when you don't want it to, and the drag will go up and drive go down. Cordage can get complicated but most the venders (Except for the Clothing Store) have experts to help. Use them.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I would think the SBO store would know the length you need. Might also try APSLTD. Their tech service guys are pretty good. If you can measure it yourself things I order from Defender before noon arrive the next day. It looks like your closer to them than I am so should get orders just as fast.
Faster to just use a halyard knot to tie on the line than to learn how to do an eye splice.
Then follow @Joe S advice and order the other new lines over the winter and teach your self splicing.