New P42 Owner needs electric help

Apr 21, 2017
Hunter 42 Passage Punta Gorda
Greetings ! I'm gradually getting an understanding of my recently purchased 1992 Hunter Passage 42 (hull # 95) but need help on 2 things:

1) figuring out the wire routing for the forward running lights - which don't work at all (voltage at the pulpit is ~ 6V).
2) a galley switch which doesn't seem to control anything. (picture attached)

The forward running lights only have 6 volts. I'm trying to trace the wires to find the fault. It appears the wires comes up thru the pulpit via a small deck tube on the port side. Those wires feed the port nav light and then a branch wire runs thru the pulpit to the starboard nav light. The main wires are copper and I suspect may not be original. Despite disassembling the V-berth teak (and getting to see the windlass and water tank!) I can't trace the wires. Starting at the circuit breaker I can see the wire goes into 'romex' type wires (contains the + red and the - blk) which then goes up to the 'wiring chase' that houses the stereo speakers. I've taken all the speakers out as well as the TV and lose track of the romex wires. I did however find romex covered wires behind the port settee down by the 'chainplate' (see pic) - are these by chance the wires that feed the forward running lights and if so how do they get up to the pulpit? Needless to say my boat is torn apart and the lights still don't work.

I'm also trying to figure out the purpose of a switch in the galley mounted in the upper cabinet corner (see pics). The wires run aft thru the two cabinet boxes. It is nicely done possibly at the factory but it doesn't seem to control anything. Does anyone else have a switch like this?

All suggestions are greatly appreciated. I've only owned the boat a couple weeks and am still working thru the systems - which are much more complex than my previous boat. That said, we've been out sailing a few times and I'm impressed with her speed and comfort. Thanks again - Jim

Attachments

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
Can't help you on tracing your running lights but just wondering if that switch is near your cook top? If you have propane or natural gas for the cook top or if you have a gas oven it could be the switch for the solenoid that controls the gas flow at the tank.

Apr 21, 2017
TH - Thanks for the reply. Yes that switch is relatively close to the cook top. I thought/hoped the same thing. The boat is still CNG but I want to install a remote solenoid (for future conversion to LPG). There is no wiring at all back by the CNG tank - so don't think that is/was the intend of the switch (and if it was the wire dead-ends someplace that I've yet to locate)... Thanks again - Jim

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
the switch is for the galley "fan"...

the forward running lights wiring should lay in the "tray", that runs just below the window line in the salon, take a close look at that, as it is tough to get your hands down in to it. The lights should be a homerun from the panel to the stanchion. The cable should run up the port stanchion, exit to the lamp and back down the stanchion and back in to top tube to the other light, but most are now run along the top tube and tie wrapped, to the starboard light.

If you have 6 volts, there is a wire to it, most likely the socket/lamp has lost it's ground. You can test this with a long wire and two alligator clips on each end. Ground one end to something electrically grounded and then tap the other end on the shell of the lamp fixture and see if it brightens, or has 12 volts.

Apr 21, 2017
FF and KD3 - thank you ! Fortunately the boat is right behind my house. I un-screwed what appeared to be normal air vents and behind the one above the stove is a non-working vent fan! Mystery (at least my mystery) solved! (and that means I need to figure out a different approach for a stove fuel solenoid)

KD3 - I don't completely follow what you're saying on a lost socket/ground/test leads - but I'll give it more thought and a try tomorrow.

Thanks for the help!

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Greetings ! I'm gradually getting an understanding of my recently purchased 1992 Hunter Passage 42 (hull # 95) but need help on 2 things:
Hi Jim, congrats on your new P42, a delightful boat. Check out the model information section where lots of articles provide helpful tips on your boat. Happy to help you with any other questions that pop up. Does your boat have heat pumps and generator like ours? Wonderful devices.

Jul 25, 2004
Hunter 42 currently in New Zealand
Hi Jim,
I have Passage 42 hull #91, so welcome to the fold. You mentioned wanting to convert to propane. I did that, and posted about the conversion process. You can find it by doing a search on my name and "Propane conversion." Alternatively, here is the link to the post: https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/cng-to-lpg.72822/#post-372961.
I did located the electric solenoid switch exactly where the old fan switch is located. I replaced the fan switch with a small toggle located inside the dish cabinet there where the fan switch wiring is located. (I couldn't see the reason for such an obtrusive switch for such a small item).

I also had trouble with the running light wiring. The original running lights were problematic for many reasons, so I replaced them OGM LED lights. The original wire was indeed copper; Hunter did not use tinned wiring, and the wires corroded badly back to where I couldn't get at them anymore. I ended up doing a completely new wire run and just rewired it from scratch. Much easier than dinking around with the old non-tinned stuff. Especially since the terminus at the running lights is in such a wet area.
Cheers,
Paul

Apr 21, 2017
Terry - Yes my P42 has the 8KW generator and a couple AC units. I'm not aware that we have heat - but for now, that's not a concern as we're in Florida. I have read thru much of the archives. I especially, learned a lot about our boats by watching the water/holding tank replacement. Fortunately, at least for now, my tanks appear OK. I have a full list of future projects and will be reviewing the archives and pinging this board for feedback from the experts.

My wife and I have been out sailing twice so far - both times in 20+ knots - I was impressed at how well balanced the boat is (she has a roller furler main so reefing is very easy). I'm still getting used to sitting up high - but I like being in the center of the boat and staying dry. Looking forward to many years of cruising in this boat.

Paul - thanks for the confirmation on the copper wire for the Nav lights. Given your feedback, I went ahead pulled the bow pulpit off and ordered new LED lights and tinned wire to replace the entire set-up. Regarding LPG - I have a full tank of CNG - so will use that until empty and then convert to LPG. I'll probably run the solenoid switch similar to you from the upper cabinet (any hints on the wire routing are appreciated). I need to track down that West Marine locker you found that fits in the Starboard lazarette. That is the type of setup I want.

Thanks again - Jim

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Terry - Yes my P42 has the 8KW generator and a couple AC units. I'm not aware that we have heat - but for now, that's not a concern as we're in Florida.
Hi Jim, the rheostat temperature control knob on our boat lets you select whether you want heating or cooling. Rotating the knob from top dead center, counter clockwise selects heat, clockwise selects cooling. We never need cooling around these parts, but it does come in handy during the colder months while connected to shore power. We use the Genset primarily for heating water, cooking and topping off the batteries while out during our extended cruises.

eianm

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 42 Sydney
Hi Jim,
I also have a 1991 H42 that I LOVE! Just a note- it is not necessary to change the water tanks- they are repairable- I have written a detailed article on this- much quicker and easier than replacement and a HUGE $$ saving. Please contact me if you ever need any help with a tank refurb.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
JIM H42
Hi are you a member of any Boating clubs here in PG.
I am a member of PGSC.
Nick

Apr 21, 2017
Nick - we may have met before - when you were keeping a boat up off of BayView ? (I had a Cape Dory next door?). We are currently members of SeaFarers Boat Club. Once we retire and can to do more extensive cruising - we may change clubs. In the past I've raced with PGSC.

FF - I sent you a PM - it would be nice to discuss your P42 experiences.

Eianm - I did review and enjoy your approach for epoxying the forward tank - this seems like a good alternative that I'll consider if/(when) the situation occurs.... for now fingers are crossed....

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Do you have 12 v's anywhere? you only mention the voltage testing demonstrating 6 V at the lights. Are your batteries 6 V series parallel?

Apr 21, 2017
DayDreamer - I should have clarified - it is a 12V system but I was only getting ~ 6V at the forward Nav lights. After pulling the pulpit and I found the corroded & partially broken wire about 3" into the deck..... I'll be replacing all the wire with new tinned wire and LEDs. Thanks

Oct 3, 2011
Tayana 52 Jax
We had the 433, same hull but aft cockpit. We sailed from Jax Florida to Townsville Australia so if anyone tells you your boat isn't 'bluewater'....... We also had the same problem with the nav lights!

lyleh

Jan 3, 2016
Hunter 42 North Saanich
Unfortunately the propane locker that West Marine had available at that time is no longer. I too am looking to do the conversion on my 1994 P42 but as of yet have not found a pre- built locker that fits into the lazarette. The size of the opening is the problem. I am looking at custom building one to fit.

May 23, 2013
Hunter H42 Passage East Chicago and Hammond
Jim,
Welcome to the 42 Passage new owners club (LOL). Just purchased mine 3 months ago and working on some problems. The guys on here are GREAT when it comes to problems we may have!!!

Apr 21, 2017
Thanks all for the help and encouragement. I successfully pulled tinned nav light wire from the circuit breaker thru the bow pulpit and now have functioning LED bow lights! I removed the pulpit, re-wired and mounted the lights in the comfort of air-conditioning (on the dining room table - I have a gem of a wife :). The only tough part was getting the new wire from the pulpit back alongside the anchor locker (there is only 1/4" clearance and the original copper wires broke in this space). - had to use a vacuum cleaner to pull a string (this is a great trick I had read about but never used - worked like a charm). So on to other projects (but first a couple days of sailing are in order)! Thanks again - Jim