New owner, 1975 Hull #4726

Feb 21, 2019
Catalina 22 Madison In.
IMG_2714 (1).PNG
Down sizing a wee bit from a 466 Bertram the this little Catalina 22 and just happy as a calm about it. Picking it up tomorrow and curious if you all recommend anything special in the form of mast support to the 1.5 hour trip home. Just looks like a big spam and bouncy. Anything else to warn or advise me of ??

Doug Doty, Madison Indiana

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019
Catalina 22 Madison In.
I can't whip that up overnight so I may resort to on of my tightly rolled sleeping bags to get home, I don't want to be hokey but that is secondary to protecting it for first time travel to get it home. I have good straps and the tires and bearing are reportedly in good shape and 3 years since all new.

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
indeed- folks have used everything from a block of wood to a pile of life jackets. Over a mile and 1/2 you could get away with nothing- but I don't enjoy the noodle in my rear view mirror-- snug and supported makes me feel better.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Another option is to just cinch the mast down at the midpoint, with a sail tie, at the mast step. It doesn't hurt a mast to bend it, obviously, you just don't want it flexing 10,000 times on the ride home. A sail tie prevents flexing AND helps keep the stick secured in place, and it won't mar your anodizing.

Throwable cushions and fenders can come in handy, in the absence of proper supports. And your sleeping bag will stay dry. ;)

And now, Doug, you know perfectly well we wanna see pics of your new boat!! :biggrin:

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Welcome Doug, to a whole new life. It's always good to rescue someone from the bilges of Perdition to sail the waves of Heaven. Joining SBO is like buying that stairway in the Led Zeppelin song.

Great question to ask. A lot of boats get towed with just two points of mast support. I think it's a bad idea and just plain lazy. At least three points of support for transport. If you trap your boat, when storing her, you will definitely want more support. I get a lot of snow where I live so I made up four points to support my 24' mast. Simple 2x lumber will also work well. Although Clark's PVC looks so slick, I might change my system to match.

And, I wanted to add, warn, ask, sailing is factors more complex than powerboating, what have you got for experience?

-Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 21, 2019
Catalina 22 Madison In.
I will find a way to post pics real soon. Looks like i need a third part pic hosting service to use here. When i tried last night my goto hosting said i had it maxed out and wanted to charge me for more room, will investigate others this evening.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Doug,
You can upload directly to your posts using the [Upload a File] button at the bottom of the edit box. There is also a SBO gallery where you can keep photos. You can use other people's or maintain your own. Make it sharable or private. Find it through your Profile.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 21, 2019
Catalina 22 Madison In.
Added the Ad pic to my original post. I bought it sight unseen from this picture, the ad and talking with the seller. i am picking it up this morning. I hate admiting that I have never seen it in person but at the price I paid I am comfortable. Retired and more time than ever on my hands. Has redone cushions, new main in 2015, original trailer and a 2011 Nissan 4S. I have been rebuilding boats all my life and was just up for the adventure so took a chance. I have spent more at fuel stops and/or installing all new batteries in the spring in powerboats in the past. Glad that has come to an end and this has begun.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
Compared to where you are coming from, it's hard to spend a lot of money on a C22. Just wait until you calculate the new fuel burn from the outboard... Congratulations & good luck.

Jul 13, 2015
Sadly my day job is an IT Infrastructure professional (wish I could earn a living sailing). @Will Gilmore is absolutely correct-- if you want free the forum can do a nice job of facilitating. I tend to take a bazillion pictures, both to remind me what I've done and also share with the forum. A very robust and relatively inexpensive lift for the storage is Google Drive. Think I spend 10 bucks and have 130GB of space.

Saw your pic-- now I'm jealous. She looks great!

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Doug, +1, boat looks great for it's age, and it's floating rather than covered in tree limbs, leaves and other rubbish in a barnyard! The real plus is you have some time on your hands and experienced working on other boats.

You've come to the right place for all things C22, this is a great group that will talk you thru any issues. Suggest you spend time reading thru the many posts from folks who began where you have now begun, especially the longer ones. Welcome, keep the pics coming and stick around!

Ron

Feb 21, 2019
Catalina 22 Madison In.
The ad pic was a few years ago but it looks the same less a different registration # where the PO bought is in 2013 as a 3rd owner, looks like i am #4. Got a lot of documentation back to new including a copy of original owners title and the books and manuals for it and the 2011 tohatsu engine. Came with a 2 season old Ulman main 3 older head sails in varying condition. Boat has original gelcoat. Trailer is original made for it and surface rusted but still will be perfect after a blast and paint. Interior Cushions have all new covers made and zipped over the top of the original gold brown vinyl covers and are a plush medium grey. Galley slider is still in place minus the stove. Was not used last season but stored in open front building so it’s real dirty outside but much better inside. I leveled it for self wash tomorrow as we have predicted downpours all day. I’l take over where mother nature leaves off.

Attachments

Last edited:

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
@pclarksurf post #6... what the 'ell are those chain thingies on the boats pullpit for??? Looks seriously heavy duty...

Jul 13, 2015
@greg_m yep-- inherited those lovely (leaking) features. The bow rail hangers were indeed for a danforth-- long gone as I've migrated to a mantus and I deploy from the stern. The dorade is going to be a spring victim-- I have a project to reinforce the foredeck/ forestay and the dorade is likely to disappear.

Feb 21, 2019
Catalina 22 Madison In.
I was so inspired my the whole thread from greg_m, in So. Africa and some good weather today I started inside with the bleach water and rags. Working from top to bottom, front to back and left to right. Tough on an old heavy guy with a delicate back... I will be doing a lot of extensive repairs and fixes and mods but just really want to start from clean or at least working in my dirt rather than pre-existing mold and mildew.

Attachments