New Member here - have a question

Jul 29, 2014
Ranger R26 Muskegon, MI
I have an old Venture 21 I am parting out. If you want the keel, I would be happy to sell it to you. Would you be willing to travel to pick it up? I don't know if the dimensions are the same, but I believe my keel weighs 400lbs. I have not removed the keel yet, but if you are interested, message me and I will remove it, take some pictures and measurements and send them to you. However, first I would recommend that you check the hull and deck, making sure they are sound. I am posting as a response to your inquiry so I hope this is not a violation of the "Do not post items for sale in the forums" policy.

Jul 10, 2015
Macgregor 22 Lake Allatoona
I have an old Venture 21 I am parting out. If you want the keel, I would be happy to sell it to you. Would you be willing to travel to pick it up? I don't know if the dimensions are the same, but I believe my keel weighs 400lbs. I have not removed the keel yet, but if you are interested, message me and I will remove it, take some pictures and measurements and send them to you. However, first I would recommend that you check the hull and deck, making sure they are sound. I am posting as a response to your inquiry so I hope this is not a violation of the "Do not post items for sale in the forums" policy.

Hello, I haven't been on the site for over a week and am now just reading your post. Where are you located?

May 23, 2015
MacGregor 26 Lake Perry Kansas
I'm looking to replacing my main and jib halyard for my Mac 26M. Can anyone let me know the length
of each in feet.

Aug 7, 2011
MacGregor 26S Lakeland, FL
To the original poster... do what you will to ease your mind about the legal issue. But I wish to echo from firsthand experience what many others on here have already suggested. Keep it for parts or to return after the hearing, and go buy a boat that is ready to sail - one that you can go sailing with the owners of before you hand over your cash (called a sea trial).

I had a 26ft Mac yard boat for six years, and we just recently got to sail it for the first time. (Yay, it's no longer a yard boat!) I bought it eagerly, as you did, and after what i thought was a lot of research. What i didn't see was the covered up and painted over cracks in the hull and deck, the parts that were unusable or that had been installed incorrectly, the patchwork of poor repairs, and the mountain of work that was ahead of me prior to being able to enjoy it for the reason I bought it. That says nothing of the money on top of money that we poured into the repairs, a little at a time, over six years, just to have a functional boat. (Not pretty, but functional.)

Sounds like you have a very understanding wife. From the sailing perspective, the two of you would do well to smile at yourselves (we have had to laugh at ourselves many times amidst six years of tears and frustration), and find a decent boat with a motor, good sails, and a decent owner. Fair winds to you.

Feb 21, 2016
Catalina 22 Lake Perry, KS
I am a noob sailor here, but I would like to share one lesson that I have learned over my 61 years of life.
First: Why did you buy the boat in the first place? Was it a hobby that you wanted to pursue of fixing up old sailboats that were in bad shape? (there are people that do that)
Or, did you buy the boat to learn to sail and enjoy time on the water? I am guessing that this is most likely the case. If so, pursue the PO through the legal system if that makes you feel better. Personally, I would let it go and move on with my life. This guy has already taken you on the boat purchase, but now he has really gotten to you because you are giving him a good portion of your time and mental anguish to him by allowing this bad purchase to become your obsession for justice.

Anyway, what I am trying to say is that every hour you pursue him, and every hour you spend on trying to repair a boat that is not worth the cost of repairs is an hour that you are not on the water with your kids and wife enjoying what sailing has to offer you.

I am certainly not trying to tell you what to do, I am just explaining from the perspective of someone who knows how short this life is, and refuses to let someone else try and sidetrack me into pursuits that don't return any happiness to me.
Look at this way, what would you rather have scripted in to your headstone?
He was a great dad, husband and a heck of a sailor or " He was great at chasing down deadbeats and getting justice"?

Just my .02, I know it's not worth much.
Enjoy your life my friend. I will be out on the water. :)

Apr 27, 2013
O'Day 28 Aqualand
There are great boats out there and honest people too. Keep looking, especially in the for sale forum on this site.