New Guy Hello!

Oct 9, 2018
Hunter 28.5 Annapolis
Hello all,
Made my first purchase of a lovely 1988 Hunter 28.5 and now want to sink every penny I have into her. Looks like i will have to update her running rigging so prob will start there before the summer starts. I have looked at the site here for rigging and was wondering how easy it was to do it our self. Also does not seem to be any instructions on the site on how to do it. Any one have info on this? no info on the traveler length either. Might have a few silly questions later as well but trying to read all the forums so i don't have to ask the same things people have already asked.

Thanks all,

Oz

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
@Ozpilot414 ,

Welcome to SBO! The Hunter 28.5 seems to be a very well designed, semi-performance boat. In order to optimize your boat's full potential, the proper running rigging is key to perfecting the proper amount of stretch for each different line. This margin of stretch depends on the load under which the line is being put, the number of blocks, or purchase system the line is run through, and it's location on the boat. For example, sheets and halyards should have as little stretch as possible, but must still be flexible enough to run their course through the blocks and tackle without kinking and obtaining bad memory.
It seems all too often that I sail a friend's boat, which is all of 25-28 feet long, and the jib sheets are massive, half-inch double braided line with a thick, solid core. "It's a genoa so it needs it." NO. Oversizing your rigging is one of the worst mistakes you can make when trying to optimize your vessel's performance. In the case of most boats, the owner's manual ought to contain and specify the proper length and cordage of each working line on the boat. If this is not the case for you, then...oh boy, buckle up, because you'll be measuring and calculating length for a good chunk of your day before running to your supplier of choice to purchase said line. Believe me, I know because I did it. For some God-forsaken reason, the writers of the "1984 Catalina 25 Owner's Manual" decided not to include the cordage specifications. Why? Who knows, it was the 80s! Thus, I found myself measuring lengths of distance between one block to another, calculating how much length it takes to run a line through a 3:1 purchase system and, most importantly, searching desperately for good quality line offered at a decent price!

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Welcome aboard!
I stitched my old and new end to end when I replaced my halyards then pulled them thru. Eazy peazy. If you don't already have them led back to the cockpit, you might want to factor that into the lengths. My only change was to my topping lift. A PO added a Boomkicker but I still need the line for my Dutchman system. It's much easier with more line to lower the topping lift enough to undo the clamps to remove the mainsail. If you don't have a Dutchman, this is irrelevant.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2014
Westsail 28 72 Long Beach , California
Hey Oz , congrats on your first boat . That Hunter looks like a really nice boat https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/hunter-285
Replacing running rigging is easy , there are so many types of line these days the hard part will be deciding which line to use .
For me I like Sta-Set by New England (not to be confused with Stay-Set X) Also I like to try my hand at eye splicing X makes that job very hard .
As far as instructions on how to re rig your running rigging there are some general type books on the subject and You Tube is great .
Tell us about yourself and what are your plans for the boat .

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Oz,
Failing everything else, if you get a couple of 100' spools of cordage, you can feed that through the mast while you extricate the existing halyards. This way, you can measure exactly what you have, and add or subtract accordingly form the overall length. As Justin mentioned, stitching the cordage to the existing halyards will prevent the heartbreak if one end fails to come all the way through. I have a couple of lengths of 5/16 cheap line that is used for these kinds of jobs.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Once again I'll mention that cordage has improved to such a great degree that was Rx'ed in the 70's is now out of date. You should shop the various vendors for 2019 Rx's. So if your manual Rx's this or that you should tear it up and find cordage that fits your specifications. You can down size aggressively keeping in mind that you still want your stoppers to work - miss cleats yet? Smaller cordage will allow way less friction in blocks and for those concerned about "Hand" free running lines are easy on the hands.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Welcome to SBO and your first boat!
Your just starting out and have a lot to learn so keep it simple. Buy long length of two sizes of line.
For halyards, travelers, outhauls you will do fine with 5/16" polyester double braid. For jib and main sheets 3/8" is easier to grab. New England Sta Set or Samson XLS are the standard polyester double braid brands.

You can use the line calculator on the store here. Call them if you need help.

Or you can buy long lengths, as @Meriachee and @Justin_NSA suggested. Buy a spool of 5/16" sew it to an existing halyard and pull it through. Cut it to the same length and go on to the next one.

For jib and main sheets just use the old ones to determine length. The buy the total length in 3/8" cut to size and go.

Just be sure that the line fits your blocks and rope clutches. What I did was buy a couple of feet of each line size I was planning to use. I then tested it in the blocks and rope clutches to make sure it fit.
As Simon said, bigger is not necessarily better.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Oz pilot,
Welcome, that's a great boat. I have sailed that boat a lot in the late 80s when I was a sailing instructor. Nice boat to learn on.
Replacing the standing rigging is pretty straight forward.
I would start by labeling everything first. Then remove one complete set and you can send it out the Sea coast south in Fl. They did almost all the rigging for Hunter in the 80&90s. They will dull at it to exactly what you have. I did mine a few years ago and found them to be very reasonable.

Hope this helps

Oct 9, 2018
Hunter 28.5 Annapolis
Wow! great info guys. Thanks for all the advice. Going to give it a whirl and see what happens. Love the cartoon! I have sailed off and on for years but never owned a boat. My parents live on a Hunter 45 in the Med and have been several times and have always loved sailing. Looking forward to the spring when I will be able to take her out on the Chesapeake and stretch her legs!

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
They always say, the only think better than owning a boat is knowing someone who does. Also applies to swimming pools.