New Catalina 22 owner

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
You can use a torch to anneal the stainless steel, heat it on the bends until it is a soft red, bend it straight, then douse with cold water quickly. You are looking for a straw color as it cools, then cover it with lots more water, a running hose. This should harden it again without making it brittle. There is plenty of information out there for working with s.s. Here is a link to a forum discussion on bending s.s. http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?33592-Bending-stainless-steel . It seems the recommendation is to bend it cold, if you can. I would find a ridgid square bar and use clamps to pull the traveler bar back against it. All this should be doable in place.

-Will (Dragonfly)

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
From my point of view the "bends" look symmetrical... is it not actually supposed to be bent in that shape?

forgive the ignorance as my traveler looks different and is also mounted on the same level as the cockpit seats!

Aug 22, 2017
Catalina 22 Rapel Lake
I didn't tought about repairing it, but I think is easy to try at least, if it didn't work, I could try to replace it or change the system.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
From my point of view the "bends" look symmetrical... is it not actually supposed to be bent in that shape?
Good point. Even if it isn't suppose to be bent, it does look like it might even perform better with a small curve in it. That way, the traveler car doesn't just slide to one exstreem end or the other. The slightly harder bends in the middle seperate it into three sections and that could be improved, but to what real gain?

- Will (Dragonfly)

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
All I can say is somebody really cranked in that mainsheet in a full gale to bend it that much.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
If it doesn't effect use, I'd just leave it the way it is. Looks custom made actually, with the symmetric shape to it-

Also, that could be a tough job to access and finish up right, the way these things always seem to tend to go...

Mar 2, 2018
Catalina Wing Keel San Diego
Hi everyone, Thanks for having on board. I bought my 1989 Catalina wing keel in September and have been very busy making it safe and fixing up all the things I want to do to make it great. Here is a photo from this week with the boat on the hard waiting for new bottom paint

Attachments