New Capri 18 owner's questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 16, 2010
Pearson Pearson 27 Red Bank, NJ
Colleagues, recently downsized from a large cruising sailboat to a Capri 18 for daysailing on the Navesink River. I am doing some upgrading, don't we all.. and have some questions.

I want to buy a new gray rubrail and can't find it on the Catalina store site...can someone point the way.

Boat is a 1987...hull will come back nicely but I am thinking of painting NON SKID on DECK only in gray...has anyone done that and what did you use, and how did it work out.

MIGHT think of new sails......is Bacon's in Annapolis the place to look or do you have other sites?

Thanks.
Art
artpetrosemolo@comcast.net

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
Try Catalina Direct for the rub rail. I bet it's the same stuff that fits the Capri 22 http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=522&ParentCat=202

Can't help on the non-skid, though I'm going to have to fix some issues with my cockpit seats and I'll have to redo the nonskid there, so I'll be interested to see what the response is.

I'd be surprised if Ullman San Diego didn't already have the specs for cp-18 sails if you're going to get new ones.

We have 2 or 3 cp-18's on our dock; don't see them out much but if they're anything like our Capri 22 they'll be a fun boat to sail.

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
I would avoid painting the non-skid if you can. Try some "Soft-Scrub" with clorox and a brush. The Capri-18 is a GREAT boat. We loved ours, just wanted more room. Take a look at my pictures, there is an album of our Capri-18 there. I had a loose footed full batten made by Quantum Sails at their loft on Canon Street here in San Diego. I went to the local Ullman and North lofts and besides from being a lot more money,(same sail, same weight fabric), and they just didn't seem very interested in my business. Brian at Quantum designed my 18 sail and should still have the design on file. I bought a new 135 jib from the sail loft here on Trailer Sailer. Very cheaply made, and not any cheaper to buy.

Don

May 23, 2007
Don,

With the full batten main, did you have to take it off the boom or could you still flake the sail and put it under a cover at the end of the day?

Chris

Nov 19, 2008
I didn't flaked the main. It had slugs, but I would let it fall out and I would roll it up and secure it to the boom with a couple sail-ties. After several times, I could roll it in a couple minutes, about as fast as it would take to flake it properly, but better for the sail. The sail stayed attached to the boom. When I trailed the boat, I would slip the rolled sail and boom into the long tube sail bag. While on the boat, I just covered it with the sail cover.

Don

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2008
I forgot to mention, for a nasty looking rub-rail,(and life lines), try wiping them with acetone. It cleans them up nice! :dance:

Don

May 23, 2007
Nice tip, I may give that a shot as ours are looking pretty gruesome

Nov 19, 2008
When we had our Capri-18, we were down to 30 minutes from arrival to launching. Look at my photo album of our Capri-18. GREAT little boat! I see you sail out of Mission Bay? Are you with the Lido fleet at MBYC?

Status
Not open for further replies.