Need wind indicator/instrument advice

Jun 17, 2012
C&C 35 MKIII Manitowoc, WI
Hello,
We have a 2002 356. For all these years we have managed with a non instrument mast mounted wind indicator. Finally since I have to remove the mast for some unrelated maintenance if I could install a hard wired wind speed/direction at the mast head that-would be great. Here is our goal. I want to hard wire on the exterior of the mast down to some type of device that will then transmit the signal from the device mounted at the nav station to my ipad (that we use to navigate with) mounted at the helm. I think what I’m looking for is a device that takes the wind speed indicator signal (NMEA 0183) and communicates it so my ipad apps can read it. Our problem is that while I am very technical and always do all my own work...I have no experience or idea on what unit or brand to purchase. And more importantly if any sailors out there have a like system that would be great. In closing for further clarity I don’t want a complete wireless system with no hard wire from the mast head to the in cabin signal converter. Thank you all for any help. Jim n Kathy on SamiDog out of Boyne City, MI

Sep 11, 2011
Hunter 41AC Bayfield WI, Lake Superior
Not raymarine...... have had st60 wind that had problems on both ends. Replaced it with an I60. Complete garbage. I had to send it in three time for repairs. The problem, beside being made in china, is that in sunlight the needle finger gets hot and warps up and gets stuck on the lense. They finally sent me a new instrument, and it behaves just like the first one.

My next replacement will be Garmin.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
B&G/Simrad/Lowrance is all NMEA2000, including the sensors. There are many NMEA2000 to WiFi and Bluetooth adapters available.

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
Check out Garmin GWind products. They have both hard wire and wireless wind indicators but you will need a Garmin chart plotter to display info. The display on the helmsmen chart plotter can be replicated on your iPad in the cabin below

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Really, the only use of a mast head instrument is guiding a steer-to-wind autopilot, and you only use that up-wind (off the wind in waves compass is more stable).

Panera

Jan 18, 2014
Hunter 280 Portland, ME
I just replaced my i60 system with an i70 Raymarine. Works great. There are wireless versions.