Need a pre-sale Survey

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 MKIII Varuna Boat Club
Hi all,
I found the boat to replace the one I lost to a launching accident and need a referenced Surveyor to make sure all is okay.

The boat is on the hard in Manhasset, Long Island, NY. So, someone local is preferable, who will not charge me a fortune. Funds are limited.

I also need someone to deliver the boat from there to Sheepshead Bay, NY since I am not able to do it and would prefer the Surveyor's Company to do it. The waters from Long Island Sound, down the East River to the NY Bight can be treacherous for anyone not familiar with the route and on a boat they don't know.

So, since I'm not asking too much, if there's anyone who can refer a Company for me, it would be really appreciated. I need to get back on the water.

Thank you in advance and Happy Sailing

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Happy to hear that you’re close to being whole again. Hope the survey & sea trial are favorable.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Our 310 treasurer, Curt Sawyer is in that area and he maybe a resource, on the forum he is sawyercurt.

Dec 23, 2016
Catalina 27 Clinton CT
Accredited Marine Surveyors in Guilford CT. Jim can probably move the boat for you as well

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Congrats on the find @rpell1@msn.com. Hope you have a good survey. Best time to be a boat owners is when the sea trial and the survey are all good news.

At least one of the best times.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Expect to pay 16 to 22 dollars a foot LOA for a survey. Add $200-400 if it needs to be hauled to have the bottom and prop/shaft/etc examined.

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 MKIII Varuna Boat Club
Thanks Jack. It seems like the going rate for small boats in this area is $15.00/ft. if it's local. I have one on the hook now. Thanks for the info.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Expect to pay 16 to 22 dollars a foot LOA for a survey. Add $200-400 if it needs to be hauled to have the bottom and prop/shaft/etc examined.
That's an interesting metric. I paid by the hour and expenses (car travel), for the survey inspection, sea trials, and report writing. The rate (I received a courtesy discount via a referral) and it came to 18 hours.

Jun 1, 2007
O'Day 322 Mt.Sinai
Moving the boat yourself would be a great experience! Just grab a favorable tide down the East River and it's a wonderful trip! I've done it in a 272 and 322 several times, being mindful of weather and tides, and it's a wonderful ride.