Nearly flooded into the cabin.

Discussion in 'Catalina 22' started by Doug Doty, Mar 14, 2019. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Doug Doty

Doug Doty

Joined Feb 21, 2019
    46 posts, 25 likes
    Catalina 22
    Liberty One US Madison In.
    We had rain today like I have never seen before. Winds clocked 69mph .... My cockpit drains had always worked prior to today's massive rain event but within two hours they plugged up and turned into this mess !!! I really can see the need for the over sized rear drain setup now !! I used a long stainless tig filler rod with a formed loop and a cordless drill to work the both over and the flushed out well afterward. I have been working on the good days to get it cleaned up so a rinse off in the morning and it should reverse the mess that came out of the trees. I have what appear to be the original drain covers, stainless steel round with 4-5 mm holes and they turn down around the edges a little all the way around. I now think the drains were partially plugged and I did not realize it.

IMG_2873.jpg

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    Gene Neill likes this.
  2. Gene Neill

Gene Neill

Joined Sep 30, 2013
    2,774 posts, 1,369 likes
    C-22, Albin Vega
    US central Florida
    Wow! That pic will probably sell a lot of scupper upgrade kits. ;)

Glad it all stayed out of the cabin! :thumbup:

3. Doug Doty

Doug Doty

Joined Feb 21, 2019
    46 posts, 25 likes
    Catalina 22
    I feel fortunate all my real clean up work thus far has mostly been on the inside other than a good spray off when it first got home so I did't loose too much ground. The inside is cleaning up great, the outside is gonna be a little more of a chore but I have dealt with a lot of dirty spring cleanups boats over the years and got a good recipe to throw at it here soon. Not sure if I will fly into any refinishing type work until after we use it a few time and see how it works out for what we want. Maybe just water seal stuff for now.

4. rpludwig

rpludwig

Joined May 23, 2016
    707 posts, 366 likes
    Catalina 22 #12502
    US BSC
    Doug, welcome to the "what were they thinkin club" with those forward scuppers and forward sloped floor on the original models...don't sweat it, we've all been there and as Gene sez, time for the rear scupper mod!

Doug Doty likes this.
  5. Daveinet

Daveinet

Joined Sep 20, 2014
    1,014 posts, 210 likes
    Rob Legg RL24
    US Chain O'Lakes
    That is supposed to be the tub when you need to take a bath.
    Isn't there another current thread discussing the lack of safety with an open transom?

Doug Doty likes this.
  6. Jacktar

Jacktar

Joined Sep 14, 2014
    784 posts, 351 likes
    Catalina 22
    US Pensacola, Florida
    Just a comment , it really does not matter what kind of or where the scuppers are located, if you let them get plugged, they will back up. Boats just require more maintenance than anything else in life except maybe your first girl friend or used car.

jwing likes this.
  7. Project_Mayhem

Project_Mayhem

Joined Sep 24, 2018
    313 posts, 61 likes
    O'Day 25
    US Waukegan
    I know
    I know a guy who plugged the drains in his Catalina 27, filled it with water and let his kids use it as a kiddy pool for the day:whoa:

8. jwing

jwing

Joined Jun 5, 2014
    480 posts, 211 likes
    ODay Mariner
    US Guntersville
    I had the same problem. I solved it by buying and using cockpit cover. That solved a few other problems, too.

9. Doug Doty

Doug Doty

Joined Feb 21, 2019
    46 posts, 25 likes
    Catalina 22
    I am an canvas and upholstry hobbist so considering a cover project for the cabin and cockpit area as a combo.

10. Leeward Rail

Leeward Rail

Joined Mar 20, 2015
    1,669 posts, 429 likes
    Catalina 22 New Style
    CA SHSC, Lake Winnipeg
    What type of sewing machine do you have ?

11. rpludwig

rpludwig

Joined May 23, 2016
    707 posts, 366 likes
    Catalina 22 #12502
    US BSC
    good for cleaning sails too, plug the drains, fill with water & dawn, stomp/slosh around...

12. Hardhead

Hardhead

Joined Apr 11, 2017
    315 posts, 119 likes
    Catalina C22
    US Solomon's Island, MD
    When you get a chance, you also might want to check the top of the keel winch bolts - just to make sure they are well sealed with butyl tape. Yours look fine from the photo, but if any water is able to seep into the keel winch bolt holes, it can possibly rot out the step and coring the keel winch is supported by. It's pretty simple to back them out to check. Also make sure the keel cable "volcano" tube is well clamped at the bilge, as that's below the waterline. You never know how well the previous owner kept an eye on these things-

13. Doug Doty

Doug Doty

Joined Feb 21, 2019
    46 posts, 25 likes
    Catalina 22
    thanks, Yes I will look into them along with pulling and re-bedding all the hardware as soon as I get done cleaning this thing top to bottom. hoping to not need recoreing but I imagine the will be some to be done. I cannot imagine there is many of these 40 years old range with solid decks still.

14. Jacktar

Jacktar

Joined Sep 14, 2014
    784 posts, 351 likes
    Catalina 22
    US Pensacola, Florida
    You would be amazed at how many of the hulls are still solid, decks still cored and mostly leak free (except for windows).

Hardhead likes this.
  15. Doug Doty

Doug Doty

Joined Feb 21, 2019
    46 posts, 25 likes
    Catalina 22
    I have no reason to believe mine is not thus far but it is surprising to me, and i will be very pleased if mine is solid...

Hardhead and Gene Neill like this.
  16. pclarksurf

pclarksurf

Joined Jul 13, 2015
    538 posts, 294 likes
    Catalina 22 #2552
    US Kennewick, WA
    Stock scuppers highly suspect as well you know-- I've been on the path of adding rear drains, but had to deal with a rotten cockpit floor first. In the process I nuked the stock and added 2" grates and maintained the 2" supply line all the way to the stock through hull. Also on the list is to swap out the 3/4 through hull for a proper 2" -- but even with the physical limitations the throughput is much improved. And essentially I never leave the cockpit exposed save for the time she's on the water.
    IMG_1049.JPG 20160501_194832600_iOS.jpg IMG_0360.JPG

20% OFF innovative boat clips!
FixClip holds laundry, tools, anything to rails and life lines even in strong winds.
Teak companionway doors
Amazing artisan quality, custom made to fit your boat.
Stainless documentation placard
Who said a documentation placard cant be beautiful? Brushed stainless with laser-fused numerals.
Gray Enterprises port gasket
Stop winter leaks. Compare our price!