My turn

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Well Triple Play hasn't tasted the water in 18 months now. Lots to do but I am busy with work and unmotivated. Also stuck in the middle of projects at home. Ithe fact that I am pretty much just prepping her so I CAN sell her instead of just giving her away is saddening.my big debate now is whether I can recore the deck from the inside with the mast up. I plan to do it from inside the boat. I am also debating whether or not to do it on ge hard or in the water. My marina will bill me $1800 for summer storage if I don't splash her soon. I can work on the mooring and motor her over to the dock for a days work. I can also rent a slip if I can find a large block of time to knock it out.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Sorry Bob, I don't understand your request for information. Perhaps add a little more detail...I'm sure you'll find some good (and sometimes questionable) advice. I'm unfamiliar with "record the deck from inside with mast up"! Do you need to rewire the mast lights? Weather instruments? Re-bed hardware? Radio? Record video of the interior? Reconstruct the cabin deck? A little more typing and a few pictures goes a long way here.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
"Record the deck" must be one of those navy terms ;>) I think, though, he means "re-core", in sailboat lingo.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
"Record the deck" must be one of those navy terms ;>) I think, though, he means "re-core", in sailboat lingo.
Got it...I'm out, never even considered that. Couldn't possibly be of any help. Thanks Ron.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
i just don't see re coring the deck with the mast up ......especially if the damage is around the mast base.......

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Apple products have awful spell checking. I have to recore the port side from the mast back. So from the mast to the handrail back to the turning blocks roughly. All courtesy of a hole for the VHF antenna cable I think.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
values seem to have dropped quite a bit, which is surprising. It may not be worth the effort. YW had several 9.2s under 15k. if I drop the mast, re wire the lights, replace the standing rigging, buy a new Furler...etc...I may be wasting my time and money. Hence thinking about doing it with the mast up.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
hummm that makes mine worth more to me that it does the buyers....... but then i didn't plan on selling it when i started a complete refit ....

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
That's a lot of work. How much do you expect in return? Storage fees, materials, labor that could be used elsewhere. it adds up. Would it be smarter to donate it and take the tax break? I haven't looked into it at all.

Jul 8, 2014
Catalina C400 Oriental NC
Just went through a similar "what to do about upfit/sell" with our old Morgan 38.
Somebody wiser than me pointed out that every step we took (remove lighting/headliner, remove head, pull up cabin sole) actually makes the boat more unsellable until the project is 100% complete.

Sounds like you have busy busy schedule at work and home, so the upfit-to-sell project could take a long time to get to marketable status.

We wound up selling our boat as-is where-is with full disclosure to an enthusiastic project boat buyer.
Lost money, but then again, who doesn't :eek:

Maybe just list it for sale now and see what happens?

Tsam

Jun 28, 2011
S2 6.8 Long Lake, MN
Three years ago I re-cored from below a portion (3ft x4ft) of my S2 6.8m foredeck. The key was to build a curved-to-fit-the-deck form out of 1/4 inch plywood. After a first layer of waxed paper, all layers of glass and epoxy assembled on the form and then pressed into place from underneath and held under pressure with small jacks and 2x2s. The deck on top came out straighter/stronger than before I started! It took awhile to plan out the steps involved and plan for epoxy to drip out the sides and fall onto plastic sheets instead of interior of boat.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
If you do it from the inside, is there any chance of discovering further damage later that may take you across bulkheads?

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Crossing the bulkhead is likely. But cutting and retabbing it isnt a big deal given everything else lol.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
I am thinking of getting a professional survey to help me decide. I am thinking that i could perhaps sell her for 5k as a project and sell a few spare sails and a cover for another $1200.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Crossing the bulkhead is likely. But cutting and retabbing it isnt a big deal given everything else lol.
the main bulkhead is not tabbed in it is screwed to a cross beam that is glassed in...it is tabbed in on the port side to the hull

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
Could you consider using the drilling method from the top? Drill multiple holes in the bad areas using a pegboard for a template and let the core dry and then inject penetrating epoxy. Sand it down a bit and apply an anti-skid over the entire deck like Kiwigrip. Just a thought.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
The drilling method doesn't work Kito. TSam, thanks for your input. I was thinking about laying it all up on some hard board insulation with a foil backer on one side. I will kerf it so it is flexible, fit it into place then tape up the back with duct tape to keep the shape. But mounting it to plywood so it is easier to clamp into place sounds like a great idea.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
I am stressing because my Marina is about to bill me $2K for summer storage. I should just give into the reality that it is going to happen.

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
I redid our cockpit floor from above. I could not see fighting gravity in addition to the fumes and heat of working in the cabin.

Cut out the section unless it goes around a chain plate and re-core from above. You can buy balsa on different thicknesses to match what is missing and then lay new glass on to. Be generous with the resin and use a flap disk and micro beads clean it up. Kiwi grip and your done. Easy enough, just time consuming.

If you plan on selling list it as is. Why loose the time. Your probably going take a bath no matter how you cut it. Maybe you can put her in a lower rent marina.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
the main bulkhead is not tabbed in it is screwed to a cross beam that is glassed in...it is tabbed in on the port side to the hull
Woody, do you have any pics of the beam arrangement? I am hunting for your under the mast support post now. I am going to go to the boat today to pull the cover and the two turning blocks. They need refinishing and I figure it will give me more insight into the accuracy of my moisture readings. I am going to look at detaching the headliner too. Maybe I can salvage it if I don't have to cut it too much. Think I can roll it back?