my primary and inexpensive anchor, rode, chain solution

Jan 31, 2013
MacGregor Mac26X Trailer sailing for adventure,
my primary and inexpensive anchor, rode, chain solution
anchor is clone of a newish design, 35ft chain, 300 ft rode
anchor
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G2HIE6Q/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

rode
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015CKGSWG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

chain
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002VHP7D0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

shackle
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UOPZZW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I cut the 70ft chain and use 35ft per anchor, second piece on second anchor
second anchor is a 40lb danforth left over from another boat. 35 ft chain, 300 ft rode.
third anchor came with my 26x 10 lb danforth 15 foot chain 150 ft rode

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Don't you think a 35 lb. Rocna clone and a 40 lb. Danforth are both a bit of overkill for a 26', 1.5 ton boat? What led you to these?

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
You overpaid for your anchor :laugh: . I built my 24 lb for about $10.00 worth of scrap steel. good thing to, as it's about 60 feet down and welded to the bottom of the lake at the moment :( . likely tangled in the roots of one of the many old stumps down there. Anyway..............
Do you require a windlas? I didn't, so what I did on our M25 was to cut a hole and install a deck hatch to drop the rode through and fabricated a launch roller from 3" square galvanized steel with a bow roller in the nose. it all worked really well for us last year. there's a large plastic bin under the deck and a heavy mesh net hanging above it, in the hatch opening.
Maybe some of this works for you and some may not, but food for thought anyway.

P1050208.jpg P1050212.jpg P1050214.jpg

Jan 31, 2013
MacGregor Mac26X Trailer sailing for adventure,
You overpaid for your anchor :laugh: . I built my 24 lb for about $10.00 worth of scrap steel. good thing to, as it's about 60 feet down and welded to the bottom of the lake at the moment :( . likely tangled in the roots of one of the many old stumps down there. Anyway..............
Do you require a windlas? I didn't, so what I did on our M25 was to cut a hole and install a deck hatch to drop the rode through and fabricated a launch roller from 3" square galvanized steel with a bow roller in the nose. it all worked really well for us last year. there's a large plastic bin under the deck and a heavy mesh net hanging above it, in the hatch opening.
Maybe some of this works for you and some may not, but food for thought anyway.

View attachment 144693 View attachment 144694 View attachment 144695
OMG! That is nice! I'm moving my gas tank storage to bladder tank and hard tank permanent install. So that opens similar space under cockpit seat for me. I like this.

Last edited:

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes

Nice work!! Do you stern anchor or take the rode to the bow once it is out?

Sumner
===================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas
We always stern anchor a couple hundred feet off shore, nose in to a beach and tie up to [whatever is handy]. We can then pull ourselves off shore for the night or back to the beach again for shore adventures.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
it's about 60 feet down and welded to the bottom of the lake at the moment :( .
60' is a pretty deep anchor. I only carry enough tackle for 45' max. But, lake anchoring, I guess I could get away with deeper.
I found short sections of chain were cheaper/ft than one long section so I ordered 4 short sections and used the included shackles to hook them together. I don't have a windless.
- Will (Dragonfly)

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
60' is a pretty deep anchor. I only carry enough tackle for 45' max. But, lake anchoring, I guess I could get away with deeper.
One of our two primary sailing lakes is over 300' deep in several areas. where our anchor is stuck on the bottom is only about 200' from shore at the current winter water level so we carry a bit over 300' of rode + ~10 of chain. It's our favorite anchor spot on that lake, so we'll have to start tossing a rose petal each time we visit. :)