My 1986 Catalina 22

Sep 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Jacksonville
My Catalina, a 1986. Sail number 13,290. Really like it, got it off Craigslist for a great deal. Even came with the outboard, bimini, and covers. Great boat, really liking it.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Congratulations, you got a nice looking C-22 there, and the new designs are my favorite version. I see you're also from Florida. We're on the gulf side south of Tampa. Don't know if you're aware of the C-22 Fall Cruise next month out of Panama City. Check out the information here on the C-22 forum.

Welcome to the family,

Don

Sep 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Jacksonville
Yeah, owner just had the keel redone and bottom painted before I bought it. New volcano, winch, and everything. Trailer is actually a 2006 galvanized one too. I primered it and painted it with topside paint in case I ever felt like dunking it in the ocean. I've only used it on the St. John's river so far. Electrics are a mess though, need to rewire everything. Technically don't need to since its 22', legally just need to have a flash light so it can wait for non-crazy hot weather. Plus I just day sail. Some spider circle cracks in the gelcoat in the cockpit. All little stuff, boat looks and sails pretty good.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Well legal discussions aside, many a boater has gone day sailing only to return after dark due to situations which occur on the water. Just sayin!

Dec 5, 2014
Catalina 22 Baltimore
Great looking new design. Congratulations! It look like there is some water staining on the bulkheads. You'll probably need to rebed the chainplates. Pull out the V-berth cushions and check the bases to see if they're spongy. I had to replace my bulkheads this spring due to leaking over years. Welcome to the forum.

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
Congratulations and welcome to the forum! I also have an 1986 swing keel model, not quite your sister ship though, looks like mine came along about 342 boats later....

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
Catalina 22 1987 New Design. 14133 "LadyHawke" Modesto CA
Welcome! Great find, I love mine.
Smooth Sailing!

Sep 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Jacksonville
Jib got screwed up in the hurricane. Shredded, it came loose. I was actually due a new one, had some sail tape and threads coming loose. New one ordered from certain controversial mountain sail place. I know, rolling the dice, but they've got a 17% off deal for the bluewater sails right now. 135% furling jib with blue sunbrella. Will let you guys know how it turns out. Little bit of water got blown in to the cabin too, but otherwise handled it ok. It rode the hurricane out on the trailer, didn't have time to demast it to remove the jib.

Attachments

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Glad you made it through the storm. We were very lucky here on the gulf side of Florida, pretty much a non event for us.

Don

Sep 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Jacksonville
While waiting on the sails (ended up ordering a main too while they were on fall sale) been working on little stuff. Changed out the cam cleats and added color fairleads (Ronstan), bought new blocks for the main sheet to get a 4:1 option (Schaefer 5 series becket cam cleat and a Barton 4 series fiddle) to make stepping the mast not so awful single handed), and a small 3:1 Ronstan pulley setup so I can have an actual outhaul for the new loose foot sail.

On that note, is the boom supposed to be below the gate when setting up the mast? I've got the 2 thumbscrew things and I'm not really sure what to so with them. I guess one goes below and one above? It's not mentioned in the tech manual.

Also gonna re-bed the chain plates while its dry. Got butyl tape. Port bulkhead did get wet but at least its not spongey. My keel got some small rust spots while it was in the river for 3 weeks. Mildly annoyed.

Attachments

Sep 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Jacksonville
Finally got around to replacing the bulkheads on my Cat. Delaminated and spongy. Surprisingly easy, no fiberglass tabbing at all. Had to remove the sink to get the back bolt. Photos are out of order, finding a gallery for them was a pain. Used 4'x2' 1/2" Birch plywood, stained and sealed. Reused the vinyl edge and teak trim. Still need to reattach the bottom bolts and chain plates. Last 2 pics are with the new bulkheads popped in place.

Last edited:
May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
On that note, is the boom supposed to be below the gate when setting up the mast? I've got the 2 thumbscrew things and I'm not really sure what to so with them. I guess one goes below and one above? It's not mentioned in the tech manual.
Very nice work & nice boat! I too, would like to know the answer to your question above...I assume below so the boom can be tightened/lowered by the vang to help flatten the sail (but how low below?)...hence the need for mastgates, (as well as the need to cut a few inches off the bimini for boom clearance).

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Yes, below the gate. Just how far below is pretty much up to you. We keep ours higher in light air for more headroom, lower in heavy air for less heeling.

Check out mastgates.com BTW. Love 'em.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Yes, below the gate. Just how far below is pretty much up to you. We keep ours higher in light air for more headroom, lower in heavy air for less heeling.
makes sense....and I guess mastgates are a necessity to keep sail slugs from falling out when reefing?