Mouse Infestation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jda

Jul 16, 2012
Catalina Capri Moosehead Lake
After two years of sitting under a tarp in the north woods of Maine I found that mice (most likely deer mice) had partied in it at some point. I opened the cabin and was hit with the unmistakable odor of mouse piss. Knowing about Hantavirus I did not linger nor go inside, but let it air out and headed into Greenville for cleaning products and a respirator. Now I have no idea if the 3M respirator I bought would filter viruses or not.. it was rated for both dust and harmful vapors and according to the CDC a HEPA filter is necessary. Not sure if the mask is HEPA or not (didn't say). After about 3 hours I got back to the boat. Went in with the mask on and gloves and removed the cushions, sails, and other items (yep, pretty stupid to leave all that inside the boat for storage). Found a nest in a box I use to store odds and ends. Moved all the items into the full sun and proceeded to spray 3:1 solution of bleach and water over ever surface inside the boat regardless of their being mouse droppings there or not.

I then found a nest in my rope bin. I did disturb some "dust" though I was careful about it when removing the ropes.. I then sprayed down the entire compartment with the bleach solution. I dumped the ropes into a bucket of bleach and water and let soak for an hour. Then rinsed, dried in the sun. Once the boat had soaked in bleach over night I proceeded to wipe up the dropping and the entire interior with bleach/water and a sponge still wearing the mask and gloves.

After airing out for the better part of the day I noticed the mouse piss smell was still quite strong. I noticed a small compartment in the bow behind a wooden panel (the electrical power access panel for the fore light). I removed the panel and found at least 5 handfuls of mouse droppings and chewed up material. I initially sprayed the bleach in the compartment but after removing several handfuls I noticed that the bleach had not penetrated that far down. I was very careful and slow about the removal but this is of course some cause for concern to me.. Turned out I could not get at the rest of the material with my gloved hand. I brought out a vacuum after spraying down the remaining material and putting the exhaust from the vacuum outside the boat and dragging the hose into the boat the clean out what remained.

After all this I went over the whole thing again with a sponge and a very strong mixture of vinegar and water. Still have a very noticeable mouse smell. Removed much of the wood that was exposed to the urine and sanitized it with bleach/water. Re-sanded, and stained. The boat has been moved into my garage and opened up. Everything that isn't attached has been removed and all compartments and openings are open. Hoping that it does the trick.. Wiped down all cushions with bleach/water inside and out. Any ideas on how to deal with the smell? The cushions smell of mildew AND urine now..

Top it all off with a lot of apprehension about Hantavirus... I guess I have about 5 weeks before I can exhale.. I feel that the mice had left a while ago.. perhaps in the spring, or longer, I hope.. According to the CDC the hantavirus cannot survive much beyond 5 days outside the body of the mouse.. I did not find any fresh urine or droppings all seemed very dry to me.. some were moldy. One dead mouse in the rope bin.

I officially hate mice now with a passion. (I used to think they were cute).

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
They used to say Massengil Douche powder is the best thing for skunk on your dog - maybe it works for mouse piss too?

How did the mice get in? I think they'd be hard pressed to get into mine unless they chew a hole through the hatch or the hose for the bilge pump.

Oct 6, 2011
CM 32 USA
An industrial strength ozone machine. It will get everything in the boat almost as clean as a cycle in an autoclave.

It will ruin cheep rubber bands on newspapers. Most everything else will be fine.

You still have to vacuum, scrub everything, but the shocking power of industrial ozone will be a great start. It will clean in places you could never reach.

Next time, put it away with a liberal use of mouth balls.

Baker industries in Texas makes great industrial size ozone machines.

http://www.sonozaire.com/

Before you get an ozone machine, spend an equivalent of a college course studying what ozone is, why it does what it does, why big pharma does not want you to have one, and the dozens of positive health benefits of using ozone. Many doctors have been pushed out of business for treating patients with ozone.

Jda

Jul 16, 2012
How did the mice get in? I think they'd be hard pressed to get into mine unless they chew a hole through the hatch or the hose for the bilge pump.
My hatch is is nowhere near "tight" enough to prevent mice from getting in. A mouse can squeeze through an opening 1/4 of an inch wide I'm told. The removable hatch door and slide-away top provide a lot of ingress options.. I'm looking to leave the boat opened up for the next 12 months with all taken out and with Moth balls throughout. I'm not sure I can afford an industrial Ozone generator though it sounds like an excellent idea... Anyone have one I can borrow?

Jda

Jul 16, 2012
Well, I located an equipment rental company in Portland that rents an ozone generator for about $100.00 a week or $33 per day. The smallest units sell for right around $550.00. I plan on renting the unit for a week and seeing how it goes. I've read a lot of commentary on these units in boat and truck forums and it seems pretty positive. I'd be psyched to be able to kill that urine and mildew smell once and for all. Nothing irritates me more than a mildew smell below decks, just bugs the crap out of me.

Oct 6, 2011
CM 32 USA
Jda said:
Well, I located an equipment rental company in Portland that rents an ozone generator for about $100.00 a week or $33 per day. The smallest units sell for right around $550.00. I plan on renting the unit for a week and seeing how it goes. I've read a lot of commentary on these units in boat and truck forums and it seems pretty positive. I'd be psyched to be able to kill that urine and mildew smell once and for all. Nothing irritates me more than a mildew smell below decks, just bugs the crap out of me.
The rental idea is a good one. I did not realize anyone rented them. In the world of ozone, there are different kinds of generators. Once made, ozone is ozone. Just as long as it has shocking strength. Small ones would take a long time to do anything.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
I wonder how the ozone treatment worked?

Here is some interesting info: http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/ozonegen.html

Ozone is O3, and as such, it has an Oxygen to give to return to stable O2, and as such, can apparently contribute to oxidization of chemicals and materials. I imagine running an Ozone machine in your cabin would be like oxidizing all your interior materials, aging them to break down more rapidly. Plastics, glue, and rubber would seem most susceptible. Wood, fiberglass, glass, and stainless less so. This would really make an interesting science experiment! How big an ozone generator and how long til everything in the cabin was turned to dust? HA! I know this is hyperbole, so no need to flame! :)

But just be careful with that machine, and don't breathe near it while it's running, according to the EPA.

Andrew

Oct 6, 2011
CM 32 USA
EPA. Wonderful arm of uncle SAM. lol

While our government goes to great lengths to stop people from using ozone therapy, other countries are using ozone for everything from sterilizing hospital equipment, to curing cancer and other deaseses.

Ozone will play havoc on cheap rubber products like the rubberbands on your morning newspaper, it will not bother a rubber car tire.

If you have a house fire, ozone is one of the few things that will remove that fire smell.

Some dryclesners use ozone in very high concentrations to get rid of the cleaning chemical smell. You would not want to enter that treatment room because the ozone is high enough to make your eyes uncomfortable and possibly burn the mucus membranes.

Oct 6, 2011
CM 32 USA
Jda said:
Did you rent one? Did it help?

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
3:1 bleach is really strong, I would have soaked the ropes in soap and water I think, then rinse well and dry. I would be concerned the bleach would destroy the rope making it useless in a short period of time. Rinsing after a good bleach doesnt always stop the damage, and it certainly doesnt reverse it.

Its one thing to be afraid of a virus, and believe me I do understand, but I dont believe its as scary to deal with as you might imagine. The respirator is a darn good idea, but a hose down with plain soap and water accompanied with some scrubbing, and rinse it away and let dry, would pretty much put an end to all of it.

I had to deal with mice up north all the time. They got into pretty much every vehicle and boat I owned, the house, garage, camper/RV, tool box, shop drawers, I cant think of anything they didnt get into. Usually I would just vacuum it up and clean it and forget about it.

You need to fix wherever they are getting in.

Feb 15, 2011
Catalina 27 Muskegon, MI
I had the same thing happen in a camper trailer. I left it in the Michigan woods and used it during hunting season. The mice eventually found it and it started a 5 year war. I used traps, moth balls, steel wool, ammonia. They overwhelmed me with a full scale assault. I was no match for them and I pulled up the white flag. I'm sure they are enjoying their victory.

Aug 3, 2010
Oday 28 Malletts Bay, Lake Champlain
I had terrible mold smells and rent an ozone machine for a couple of days. I ran it for about 36 hours straight and the smell was completely gone and more importantly never came back.

I would do this again in a heartbeat.

Don't, however, go in for about or two when you turn it off. I set up a power strip outside that I do do this by.

Oh, and find someone's cat and stick in in there for a weekend :).

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Ditto on the moth balls. That was the SOP in the fall when we lived in the Midwest and we packed away the boat, camper, and my Triumph for the winter. Never had a mouse problem. What's bad about them is for what ever reason, they like to chew the insulation off the wires. What's with that?

Don

Jan 13, 2013
Catalina 22 Lake Champlain
I'm a huge fan of TSP (tri-sodium-phosphate) as a disinfectant and general HH cleaner. It was the active ingredient in Spic 'n Span.

Naturally alkaline, cheap as dirt, available at Home Depot for about 2-bucks a pound. Savorin is one distributor. Easy to rinse - no residual or soap scum

Throw it in the washing machine with all the lines and ropes. It's great for sails as well (if your friendly laundromat has the larger machines...)

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.