Mounting Microwave on our H31

Manly

Jan 3, 2018
Hunter 31 St. Petersburg
While the merits of having a microwave on a sailboat can be contested, my wife and I decided it would be nice for us. But where oh where to put it? There is not much extra counter space, and the microwave we had did not fit over the aft closet. It did fit over the forward closet but that did not look particularly "home-y" in our opinion, and was not conveniently located by the galley. It would work, however.

Looking around, I decided the room under the nav station was largely not being used. I didn't see myself sitting on the end of the settee that often with my feet under the nav station.

Would the microwave fit under there? Holding it up with one foot, I saw that yes, it would:
Microwave Location.jpg
I mounted a board under the microwave and actually drilled screws up into the bottom of the microwave. Here's what it looked like mounted:
Microwave Mounted.jpg
It may not look particularly sturdy, but it really is.
Then I thought... "Hey, there is more underutilized room there, let's add a shelf." So then we got this:
Microwave with Shelf.jpg
Here are some pictures of the support underneath the microwave:
Support FWD.JPG Support Aft.jpg :
The cord was run back through the port sliding cabinets and up to the outlet, so the cord is hidden.

Anyways, that may be a bit unorthodox of a mounting place for a microwave, but we're pleased that it gives us a microwave and didn't take away from counter space and is also close to the galley. The whole thing could also easily unscrew and be removed if the next owner didn't want it.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
another option is to cut away the dish holder area behind the sinkIMG_0091.JPG

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Ours was over the aft cabinet. It is in storage now since we don't cook on the boat while at our dock and only cook aboard while sailing or anchored out. If we regularly traveled to other marinas, I might put it back.

Sep 11, 2015
Hunter 31 Marina del Rey
Mine is in the dish locker space as well. It is a perfect place since you can use it as a cabinet to store items when not cooking. A good, small microwave is 700W which is easy to run off an inverter when at sea. Now, if someone can suggest a semi-permanent place for a pressure cooker (I am thinking to cut our the lid of the engine compartment).