Mounting a Prop

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 MKIII Varuna Boat Club
Jus
I was wondering if anyone out there uses any grease or prep to mount their prop after a thorough cleaning?
I have been wire brushing the shaft, clean with solvent, VERY light coat of marine grease and then mount the prop.

Thanks and Happy thoughts of sailing...

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
When I saw the post's title, I thought "Ouch, that would be painful"

Then I said to myself, "get your mind out of the gutter".

Then I read the post! Nope, I was right the first time.

:rolleyes:

Sep 25, 2008
When I saw the post's title, I thought "Ouch, that would be painful"

Then I said to myself, "get your mind out of the gutter".

Then I read the post! Nope, I was right the first time.

:rolleyes:
Now how do I get that picture out of my mind?

Sep 25, 2008
May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
It was tough to pull off by hand if pushed hard into place, and required light tapping while pulling. Which is how the should be.

Les

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@rpell1@msn.com this was my first prop install. It went smoothly. The blue stain and polish of the surface with the valve grind was messy. Have a few rags you will throw away after the process. Get the water soulable grind/polish. Easier to clean the metal afterwords. You want to clean the shaft after you do the polishing.

What I observed is the prop had greater a more complete contact to the shaft. I believe that places less reliance on the shaft key.

I know many boats have their prop replaced by a diver. None of this technique is used underwater. Those boats function fine.

So why do it? I believe it is a Best Practice. Your choice. Good or Better.

Apr 21, 2014
Hunter 356 Middle River, MD
Just got a new prop last year and followed @Maine Sail’s procedure and lap-fit the prop will no issues.
After this past season I am sending the prop back to have the pitch changed so I needed to take off the prop, so I used a pulley puller and it popped right of with just a little pressure tightening down on the puller.
Jeff

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Have you had any experience with how this procedure had any effect on how the prop will come off?
You just have to have the right tool, a gear puller. Take the hammer out of your toolbag and leave it at home.

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
Ah Gunni... Block of wood and a small sledge were the GO TO tools in a Naval Mechanics (seaman’s) tool box.
Are you saying NO MORE?:(

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
All good.
Probably best then that I’m not near the marina where I could grab my tool box and show up to help.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
You just have to have the right tool, a gear puller. Take the hammer out of your toolbag and leave it at home.
Actually, most prop pullers work best if put under pressure and then the puller bolt is hit with a hammer (most often one sharp hard tap). Then the prop usually just pops off. Continually tightening and bending the puller is not the best way to do this job.

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
Oh Boy. Capta your saying I can keep my small sledge. Oh Boy, oh Boy.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
It was the "wire brush" comment that started this isn't it?

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
wire brush
Thought that was a boot camp grad paint chipping authorized tool. Takes at least 6 months to be upgraded to a chisel. And another 6 months to get a mini hammer.
A fear existed that an enthusiastic young seaman might chip too much of the rust and put a hole in the ship.