Mounting a grill

Daddio

Nov 22, 2013
Hunter 29.5 Elbow marina, Lake Diefenbaker, Sask.
We have a Hunter 29.5 with the stern rail seats. We want to get a BBQ for the boat and were looking for ideas on how and where to mount it. If anyone has pictures of how they attached theirs, it would be appreciated if you could post them. Thanks

Jun 3, 2004
Seaward 24 Indianapolis
see picture

We have a Hunter 29.5 with the stern rail seats. We want to get a BBQ for the boat and were looking for ideas on how and where to mount it. If anyone has pictures of how they attached theirs, it would be appreciated if you could post them. Thanks
I have my Magma right under the stern rail seat on my 240. When it's time to cook. Swing it out into the walkthrough.

Attachments

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Gloucester, VA
Mine hangs either straight off the back rail or one of the side rails at the cock pit. Either works well.

Bulty

Dec 17, 2014
Hunter 33 Key Largo
I have my Magma right under the stern rail seat on my 240. When it's time to cook. Swing it out into the walkthrough.
kenkindy1 - I'd be interested to see your swing attachment. Do you have other pics at different angles, especially point of attachment to the rail?

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
kenkindy1 - I'd be interested to see your swing attachment. Do you have other pics at different angles, especially point of attachment to the rail?
+1

Daddio

Nov 22, 2013
Hunter 29.5 Elbow marina, Lake Diefenbaker, Sask.
We ended up mounting our Magma kettle grill with the standard round rail mount. We can swing it in to use and out when we want it out of the way. Here are some pictures if anyone is interested.

Attachments

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
We ended up mounting our Magma kettle grill with the standard round rail mount. We can swing it in to use and out when we want it out of the way. Here are some pictures if anyone is interested.
Very nice. I will be doing this on my boat. Thanks for sharing.

rbyham

May 28, 2012
Oday 23 Lanier
Not to hijack but I am wondering how people with these kettles connect the small gas bottles...

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Have one and use it regularly. Best if you can get grill out over the water as much as possible so that the grease / spatter drips into the water and not all over the back of the boat.
Had a nice marinated chicken dinner that required a complete soap and water scrub of the transom because on our 38 it's hard to get the grill out far enough.

And to the other question raised - yes I use the small propane cylinders for the grill. Never like the idea and mess of charcoal in a grill hanging on the boat.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
thats the same type of mount I have on both of our boats... the magma rail mount clamp can either be mounted on a vertical rail/post/stanchion, or a horizontal rail. it will hold either way very well.... as long as you get the clamp tight.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
Not to hijack but I am wondering how people with these kettles connect the small gas bottles...
It's not easy. I have to turn the bottle as close to upside down as I can get it. The grill gets in the way. After some amount of fiddling it always goes on. Well worth the trouble.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Be very careful with j shaped ventrui tubeas it held on with just few turns. Mine dove for the bottom this weekend and the repacrment part is one third the cost of the whole grill!

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Gloucester, VA
I have a hose that is T'd off my house gas bottle. It has a valve that will shut it on/off at the tank. The regulator screws into the end. I don't have to fool with the bottles.

Mar 20, 2012
take the regulator off and screw it onto the bottle.... then replace the regulator in the tube.

turning the regulator 90 degrees from vertical (with or without the bottle attached) and the regulator will pull out of the tube.... it may not detach when turned in one direction, but will when turned the other way...

we keep the regulator on the bottle all the time, but remove them from the grill so it doesnt swing and sway when we are sailing...

Mar 20, 2012
Be very careful with j shaped ventrui tubeas it held on with just few turns. Mine dove for the bottom this weekend and the repacrment part is one third the cost of the whole grill!
yes...
the nut will come loose and allow it to fall off...
I addressed this problem by removing the tube, squeezing the nut a bit to make it out of round, then screwed it back on with pliers.... it will get pretty tight and still allow for it to swivel as it should.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
the repacrment part is one third the cost of the whole grill!
I had to get a repacrment for mine when it dropped on 40 feet of water. Yes, those repacrments are very expensive.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
we keep the regulator on the bottle all the time, but remove them from the grill so it doesnt swing and sway when we are sailing...[/QUOTE

I also leave the bottle on the regulator but do not remove it from the grill which sits over the stern rail. I do not see a problem depending on where the bottle and regulator are stored. As you probably know the bottle has a plunger safety valve to protect against gas leaks. When the bottle is connected to the regulator the plunger valve is opened and now the only valve acting to hold the gas is the regulator flow switch. These switches were not designed as safety items and their quality and reliability will vary by manufacturer. If stored where any leak may flow overboard it is OK but if stored in a location where a leak might flow and pool inside the boat then that could cause a problem. My bottle and regulator do swing underway but I have not experienced any problem in years with our Force 10 grill.

Mar 20, 2012
we keep the regulator on the bottle all the time, but remove them from the grill so it doesnt swing and sway when we are sailing...[/QUOTE

I also leave the bottle on the regulator but do not remove it from the grill which sits over the stern rail. I do not see a problem depending on where the bottle and regulator are stored. As you probably know the bottle has a plunger safety valve to protect against gas leaks. When the bottle is connected to the regulator the plunger valve is opened and now the only valve acting to hold the gas is the regulator flow switch. These switches were not designed as safety items and their quality and reliability will vary by manufacturer. If stored where any leak may flow overboard it is OK but if stored in a location where a leak might flow and pool inside the boat then that could cause a problem. My bottle and regulator do swing underway but I have not experienced any problem in years with our Force 10 grill.
Benny, That is good safety information for those who may not know...
sometimes I do leave the bottle/regulator connected to the grill, but when it gets rough or there is a lot of powerboat traffic the bottle does move around a bit, so I will take the reg off the tube with the bottle still attached.

but if one wants to detach the regulator for making a connection to a bottle or storage or whatever other reason, its an easy thing to do....
I know of two people who have lost their regulators when they did NOT have bottle attached because the regulator can turn the 90degrees without the weight of the bottle, and can plop out into the water... the regulators are as expensive as all the other parts... just figure $50 every time you need to replace a part of the system.

and you are correct that the regulator valve has a much higher chance of letting the gas escape from the bottle with it attached than if the bottle was detached from it.
the schrader valve in the bottle outlet can leak after removing it from a regulator, but it is not common for it to do so...

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2013
Hunter 37.5 1065 Rock Hall, MD
I have the same grill, mounted the same way. I also bought the "legs" which allows me to take it to a park or picnic area and cook with it on the table or grass or beach, etc.

Dec 14, 2011
Navicula 430 Hunter Toronto
mine is the same BBQ as dadio and mounted the same way......just becarefull when walking by...they get extreamly hot and take alot of time to cool down....my wife will be cooking with the BBQ and it just so happens I will need something out of a locker and my arm will graze the BBQ and Och.....