Motor Size for Catalina 22

Oct 25, 2017
Catalina 22 Redington Beach Florida
I have a Catalina 22 and am looking to buy a new motor. Berth is in Boca Ciega Bay by St Petersburg Florida. I would like to buy a 6hp Yamaha, but am worried about the power required to get in and out of Johns Pass. Any experience out there?

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Use there search function... there is at least a dozen threads about this in C-22 forum. You'll find the common answer is 6HP longshaft Tohatsu Sailpro. A few others have 9.9hp longshafts. Don't know what the current might be like in Johns Pass, but most people report the 6HP has plenty of umpf to handle whatever the C22 can take. Keep in mind, the SailPro comes with a diff prop than standard shaft 6HP's, it is sized for low end tourque need by a displacement hull rather than high speed for a planning hull.

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Good morning Steve Miller,

Good to see another local C-22 owner. We're down in Manatee County and live near Parrish. I've been around C-22's one way or another for over 30 years, and I've owned 5 C-22's over time. so I got lot's of knowledge and opinions that I've accumulated over the years. I've never had more than 6 HP on a C-22, and never seen the need for anything bigger. Our current C-22 is a wing keeled MK-II and originally had a 5 HP Honda on her. GREAT motor, but my wife couldn't pull the starter cord. So I went with a 6 HP Tohatsu Sail-Pro. After 3 years of a lot of use, the outboard was stolen. The insurance company gave me a bunch of money and I looked at all my options. Decided on another 6 HP Sail-Pro. Just never had any issues with it, I liked the front shifting, and it pull starts so easy it's like someone left the spark plug out. The Sail-Pro comes with an alternator already installed, and has a high thrust prop. It's simply a different design blades, slightly larger diameter, and less pitch, to the outboard runs at a slightly higher RPM at hull speed. There are quite a few C-22 owners in the area, and it would be GREAT to get them together for a raft-up or a weekend trip around the area. There is a very active C-22 group on Facebook. Much more active than the Trailer Sailor site. We're taking a little road trip soon, and I need to get our boat in the marina for a bottom job when we get back so we can get her into the water and start some cruising. Hope to see you out on the water. Attached are some photos of our C-22 out on various adventures.

Don
MOTOR MOUNT 06.jpg

Beached along the ICW during one of the annual C-22 North Gulf Coast Cruises,

2014 SoCal Potter 202.jpg

Sailing to Catalina Island in 2015 before we moved to Florida from San Diego

Y-KNOT FALL CRUISE 2016 002.jpg

Motor sailing out in the Gulf during the 2016 C-22 Fall Cruise

TRIP BACK FROM MACKANAW ISLAND 045.JPG

Sailing under the Mackinaw Bridge while cruising the Great Lakes during the summer of 2016

IMG_3699.JPG

C-22's beached during the 2016 North Gulf Coast Cruise near Pensacola FL

2016 GREAT LAKES CRUISE 06 045.JPG

Sailing out on northern Lake Michigan during the 2016 C-22 Great Lakes Cruise

Sep 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Jacksonville
I've got an 80's 8hp 2 stroke Suzuki on mine. Came with the boat. Probably 60 pounds maybe. It's honestly a little big, I never have to rev it to move the boat leaving the marina and when I do it doesn't move much faster since it's already at hull speed.

Oct 31, 2017
Catalina 22 8728 Trailered
I have the Honda 5hp on my 1979 C22 and love it. Starts 1st pull, maybe 2nd if not run for awhile. It's light enough for me to carry solo and is designed to be laid down for transport (I trailer). Don't know about your local currents but on my local lake, if I hold it full throttle I end up getting drenched from the bow splash.