Moorage

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HOW Editorial

How do you moor your boat and what do you pay? Does it sit in your already-paid driveway, rock at a float, rest on a dock, or reside tied to a traditional slip in a marina? What do you pay for your moorage? Have your moorage costs gone up? Is there a shortage of slips in your area? Moor your thoughts here, then vote in the week's Quick Quiz at the bottom of the home page.

E

Ed Schenck

Pretty personal, but...

interesting. We pay $75. per foot per season. That covers almost everything: Winter takeout(mast up), bottom cleaning, Winter storage(on own cradle), Spring launch, new 45' dock, water and electric. Marina has limited facilities: head with showers(2), small chandlery, parking, competent mechanics. There are no grassy areas, very little shade, and no pool. There are lots of marinas to choose from in this area of Lake Erie. Criteria include water depth, proximity to home and to the islands, and staff. Wonder how this compares with yours?

G

Greg Stebbins

Chandlers Landing

Let's see now. The slip is about $1400 per year and is not length dependent. The slip will hold up to about 33'. Elect. and water are supplied as are barbecue grills, lifting crane , mast tower and trailer storage. 24 hr 7 day security is supplied by the neighborhood security force. Having a 23, I really like the mast tower, as it is the only sure-fire single-handed mast raising system for the 23 I've found. The club is a different expense and includes tennis courts, swimming pool, weight room, good formal restaurant, outside (veranda) dinning, bar, live entertainment, golf stuff, etc.. Greg h23 Faster-

M

Mickey Goodman

Cost of a Slip

I am at a marina in East Greenwich, RI close to the western end of Naragansett Bay. I pay $70.00 a foot for a slip big enough to hold a 37' boat. I believe the slip is 40' long. This is a seasonal price with the season beginning in May and ending in October. Everything else is extra. I remember paying $210 to step my mast 59 feet long, $150 to take the boat off the boat hauler's trailer and put it in the water. Included in the slip rental is water and electricity and dock boys to help with docking assistance. The marina also offers showers in thier restrooms. This marina is one of the most economical marinas in the Naragansett Bay area. Even though they don't have the amineties of other marinas at a higher cost, the people who run the marina makes up the difference and keeps me there rather than a higher priced marina with more emineties. Last year there was a Nor-Easterner storm where I couldn't get to the boat. The owner of the marina went to my boat added more docking lines, took down my dodger and stored it in their office and took a load off my mind. I can call their office and they know my voice, not sure it thats good. Overall the personal attention and helpfullness of their staff keeps me there.

T

T J Furstenau

Moored in the driveway

The upside of the 26 is that I take it where I want, when I want, with no mooring fees. The downside is that with set-up and break-down, I probably don't get it out quite as often as I'd like. After two seasons of keeping on the hard, we're seriously looking at getting a slip next season.

P

Pete

Well kept secret

Moor my h31 in a slip at club facilities. Must be a member to moor boat on club premises. I took out a 10 year lease on a large slip for about $2500. Amortizing that fee and the club initiation fee and adding that to annual fees the total per year is still under $1,000. Includes full time on premise maintenance and security. Includes haul out facilities, utilities at each slip, clubhouse, lots of green area, barbeque grills, plenty of parking, and only 20 minutes from work or home. Best parts are the deep water, lots of secluded anchorages close by, and year round sailing. There is a definite shortage of preferred slips.

P

Pete

Well kept secret math

I forgot to finish the math... including all fees and club membership, I pay $2.69 per foot per month. Not bad.

B

Bil Thomas Feng Shui

Cost per foot on the Chaesapeake Bay

We pay 6.99 per foot on the Bay. We have a pool, good facilties, free pump out, and several mairna sponsered events as well as some great neighbors.

J

John K Kudera

New Jersey

We moor at $45.00 a foot for April-to-October, in a New Jersey State park with 24hr security, water electric and pump out facilities. Great picnic area with grills and tables,mature shade trees, paved parking areas. On a main street with resturants, stores and laundry facilities within a block of the marina. and $19.00 for dry winter storage, that includes haul out,a bottom wash with the Spring launch. There are several marinas in the area, most all are booked, with few slips available.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Central California on the Delta

We pay $5.25/ft including electricity. They have had increases of about 5% every 2 years for the past 10-15 years but does not look like we are going to have any increase in the foreseeable future. This is a private facility with the owners living on the premises. Excellent security and service (fuel dock and pump out station).

R

Ralph C. Regar

Southern Delaware

I started seven years ago with a MacGregor 26. When I retired a little over a year ago, we moved up to a H260. My wife has a bad back, so stepping the mast and launching the boat is a single-handed job (MINE!). Add this to the cost of a motel room in the Lewes, DE area, the awful "traffic jams" at the public launching area during sailing season and the slip was a no-brainer. We pay $2200 for the season (April through the end of November) and get the use of shower/lavatory facilities and electricity. The landscaped grounds have ample parking and picnic tables and are well-lighted at night. We are in a very good neighborhood, so security is not an issue and we have the best of neighbors among the other tennants. Unlike the Chesapeake, this is not a "sailboat-friendly" area, so the marina provides a place where those of us with sailboats can get together and help one another (like HOW, only in person). Ralph C. Regar S/V Shambala

R

Royce

Corpus Christi, TX.

I'm at the city marina, which is run by the Parks and Rec. I pay $129/month for a slip that has 32' of water. They call it a 36' slip & include the half the walkway in their measurment. I have a h30. There are haul out facilities, & 24 hr security. Water and Elec. are provided, but many slips have meters on them and you must pay extra if you use more than a certain amount. No pool or hot tub. They have restrooms and laundry facilities.

D

Dick McKee

San Diego Costs

Our marina is $12 a foot or $540 a month for a 45 ' slip. Great marina, concrete docks, dock box, pool, jacuzzi, water,deli, laundry room, cable, power to 50amps, pump out ect. Ther are virtually no slips in the San Diego area over 25'. When they available they go from $10.50 to $17 a foot .. (Thats about 6,000 slips rented with a waiting list at most marinas)

R

Ron Cousino

New Bern, NC

Pay $200.00 per Qtr for a slip for my Legend 37.5 which includes water and Elec. This is a well protected marina in a resort/ time-share community with rec center with indoor/outdoor pool, hot tub , sauna, weight room, pool and video game room, kids playground with minature golf, tennis courts, two 18-hole golf courses convience/grocery store and resturant and bar. 24hr. secutity, boaters lounge , laundry and showers, diesel and gas and free pump-out service, and a partridge in a pear tree! anything more and I would never leave the dock.

J

Jim

you all pay next to nithing

$90 to $100 per foot per season on Lake George NY is the general price range (you can find lower prices @ private docks, although most accomodate 25' or less) for a slip. Pay extra for electricity, mast stepping and of course... winter storage ($2.75-$3.00 per square foot). A beautiful lake, but not for one without "deep pockets", be it willful or otherwise. To all: enjoy your bargain rates... maybe I'll join you!

J

Jim

you all pay next to nothing

$90 to $100 per foot per season on Lake George NY is the general price range (you can find lower prices @ private docks, although most accomodate 25' or less) for a slip. Pay extra for electricity, mast stepping and of course... winter storage ($2.75-$3.00 per square foot). A beautiful lake, but not for one without "deep pockets", be it willful or otherwise. To all: enjoy your bargain rates... maybe I'll join you!

B

Bob Knott

Cape Cod

Wow what a topic, and my 2 cents says I pay way too much compared to most of you, but that's a fact of life in paradise. Town mooring 125.00 per year waiting list 30 years, can't be willed or passed on. Rental Mooring (my type) $125.00 to town $1500.00 for company that owns and maintains it, includes lousy dinghy dock and mimited parking. Slips in private marine are $150.00 per foot plus everything. Municiple marina in town has 15 year waiting list (I'm on year #7) a 40 footer costs $3000.00 for May till November. plus $240.00 for electric, no charge for water. has nice bathrooms, showers, fuel and pump out. They measure the boat with a length times width formula so there are no catamarans around here! They would take up two slips and pay double everything. Haul my 380 costs; $350.00 for boat with 3 miles to the yard from the ramp. $250.00 to step the mast and haul it home on a tractor trailer. Bottom paint is $15.00 per foot plus cost of paint. Wow now I'm depressed and I've got to go to work and make some more money :) Bob Knott H380

R

Rob Sherrill

Jacksonville Florida is a VALUE

Well as of now I have two boats (unfortunately) in slips. One at Whittney's marina which is great on the St. John's river about 5 -9 hours from the Mayport inlet. That one is $7.25/foot and the facilities are excellent. My other Hunter a Vision 32 is at Mandrin Holiday Marina which is old and needs work, but it's 5 minutes from the house. That cost is $4.75 per foot. Power cables at both facilities for weekend use only cost $20/month. At Whittney's if you live aboard it's $150/month. All you Northern Sailers out to think about a Southern trip and stay on the St. Johns for the winter. The Power at Mandrin is suspect and if your at the end of the dock there is no chance to use AC without the use of your own gnerator when the temperature gets to 95 on the weekend.

R

Ray

Docking on Chesapeake

We pay $1,400 per year in Deltaville VA on the Bay. We have a pool, good facilties, free pump out, and several mairna sponsered events as well as some great neighbors too. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

J

Jim

Docking on Hard Land

If I calculate correctly we pay 1.20/ft for the pleasure of parking on hard land. The area is a northen virgina park with two fenced locked areas for parking anything. Cost is $32/month. Dirt Cheap. Wife has a tender back so launching in the Chesapeake is a one "me" chore. A slip would be nice, but like the idea of draggin the boat to other areas. Jim s/v Java H260

Status
Not open for further replies.