Monitor Windvane experience

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I'm looking at a used Monitor windvane.

Please share your thoughts and experiences with this brand of windvane.
Any parts that are vulnerable?
In use is it easy to:
  1. make adjustments,
  2. course changes,
  3. function on wheel controlled rudder,

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Top of the line product. Brackets are usually custom made to fit each boat... make sure you factor that into your decision. If I were you I'd call the Monitor/Scanmar folks and tell them your plans. I'm sure they'd help you.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Thank you Joe. I have been in touch with them. They were very helpful.

The post on the forum was to gain any other insight from the sailors here who might be using a windvane in lieu of an electric autopilot on their trips. My studies lead me to believe that the electric autopilot I have will be great up to moderate wind and sea conditions. But once it gets sporty the windvane really comes into its own. Short crew sailing is my concern and having the systems to make that safe.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
The Monitor will generally not keep as precise a course as your digital autopilot. There is a not insignificant amount of play in the mechanism. It works better off the wind than close hauled. You are correct, it likes a stiff and steady breeze. And that is what makes it a wonderful alternative to the electric autopilot - in conditions where an autopilot would be pulling a significant elect load to keep you on course a Monitor would be do so very reliably and with no load. If you are going off with limited ability to make power it becomes an important component of your boat. The other thing most guys forget is that electric autopilot motors are notoriously short lived, figure 500 hrs, and then you will in there mounting an expensive replacement.