Moeller flanging tool

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
So I used the Marelon from CD, they were kinda pricey. The flange is problematic because you have to be careful where you cut the hole in the bottom corners of the cockpit. The flange keeps the level of the tube about a 1/2 inch above the level of the cockpit deck. If you use fiberglass tube, the brass flanged tubes, or just filler resin and glass like Gene did its possible to get the bottom of the tube flush with the deck to drain all the water out. Then again, that is not the purpose of these scuppers; they are there if the cockpit gets flooded rapidly by a wave or the main foreword scuppers are clogged... so I don't think having residual water on the cockpit sole will be an issue.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Another issue to consider is the condition of you gelcoat or paint and your plans. If your boat is trashed like mine was and you are painting anyway you can kinda do whatever you want and not worry about any mess. If your gelcoat is good, both the Marelon and brass/flange tubes allow you to install the tubes without messing anything up. BUT, Gene did show you can do the epoxy method without making a mess. As far as long term reliability goes, I think Gene's method is up there along with being inexpensive, and Hawk also did it with actual prefab fiberglass tube.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
I like the Marelon fittings, despite the flange to sole issue. On the first gen C22 the forward factory scuppers take care of that residual water if any, since the sole slopes forward...nice work as usual.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Another issue to consider is the condition of you gelcoat or paint and your plans. If your boat is trashed like mine was and you are painting anyway you can kinda do whatever you want and not worry about any mess. If your gelcoat is good, both the Marelon and brass/flange tubes allow you to install the tubes without messing anything up. BUT, Gene did show you can do the epoxy method without making a mess. As far as long term reliability goes, I think Gene's method is up there along with being inexpensive, and Hawk also did it with actual prefab fiberglass tube.

That fitting looks clean and sharp. I like it. :thumbup: