Middle of big lake.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Sum,
Great posts.

If the wind clocks 90 degrees to the anchor line and shore line it can put a tremendous load on both...
Note that wind 'clocking' refers to a change in a specific direction. That term and 'veering' means wind compass direction gets bigger, while backing means wind compass direction gets smaller.

Just use 'shift' if you want to describe a change in any direction.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Before there is a hijack to discuss terms for wind direction, I wanted to point out that just about every method for beaching here has some drawback. The way Sumner tied off with a bow tie and two side ties leaves the boat vulnerable to being blown onto the beach with a about a quadrant of on shore wind. The methods that ties one end of the boat to shore and a single anchor on the other end handle some side wind but not heavy side wind. However.. you can always let the slack out on the line going to the beach with the two line method Russ described. Let the boat "follow the wind" at night then pull the line in when you want to get to the beach.

That being said.. it is a nice feature of this boat (and many other trailerable boats) that you can beach them overnight.

Last edited:

Macboy

Aug 8, 2014
Macgregor 26S Sherwood Park, Alberta
I just wanted to chime in on the importance of not using high pressures when blowing the ballast. We got lifted onto a sandbar really badly a couple of years ago on an inland lake during a storm. The waves lifted and shifted the boat enough to get it lifted a good 4-6 inches up out of the water and onto the sandbar. It was one hell of a storm. The only solution was to blow the ballast. I only had one of those multi purpose double pumping manual pumps (for mattresses, beach toys, kitesurf kites etc). At the time I didn't know about the "low pressure only" rule and started pumping. Nasty cracking and popping noises from the bowels of the boat. Scared the crap outta me. I thought I burst the ballast tank!

I aborted that plan and when I pulled the hose from the vent hole a geyser shot higher than the hatch! It was pressured up pretty good. I think the tank is ok......

Our plan B was a drill pump which did the trick to empty the ballast out the sink drain and refloat us.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Hmm... I had something similar happen with my 12V low pressure high volume pump but it was because I forgot to open the valve at the bottom of the boat that allows the pressure to push water out the bottom. If the valve is open (so that water can come in or go out at the bottom of the tank), all the higher pressure will do (up to a point) is empty the tank faster.

Ive used one of the manual air mattress pumps and it works just fine - but you always have to make sure the valve is open. The manual pump can put in higher pressure if you pump long enough.. but if the valve is open you cant pump fast enough to have a problem...

Good plan B..

Last edited:

Macboy

Aug 8, 2014
Macgregor 26S Sherwood Park, Alberta
I'm willing to bet that the valve was jam packed shut with silty sand. It was definitely opened wide though I can't recall now if I was able to push it down fully or what. On the upside, we got to leave our boat in the water where you're "not supposed to" for two days. Used it as our own little swim headquarters. Haha

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Yes, could have been the case. When Mac first came out with the water ballast 26D, the early ones had the valve nearly flush with the bottom of the boat which of course would be best for underwater drag but probably made the valve more vulnerable to damage (like when putting the boat back on the trailer) and also maybe difficult to open with the boat stuck on a sand bar. I just took this picture of the valve on a 1990 26S and it is recessed which gets it out of the way even when open (and possibly less likely to get jammed with mud but you can imagine it still happening) but it would add to drag.

And.. when I looked under there.. I noticed that the little drag guard I put on the swing centerboard got some use this last winter. I didnt make it long enough and apparently Im better off with the swing centerboard since it looks like it was dragged more than once. Since we are pretty much off topic here.. LOL.. I also added a picture of the mod I did to the vent hole. One of the caps seals the hole - which should be definitely done for sailing like the warning sticker says.. and the other cap has a fitting to interface to an air pump.
valve1.JPG
valve2.JPG

Last edited: