Mid Winter Cruise

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Terry, boat disp is 35000 lbs? Seems kinda heavy so I looked it up and sailboatdata.com states 20500 which seems right as our Gulfstarr 44 was ~24000 lbs......or did you you mean 24?
That is what the Everett travel lift operator said it weighed when she was fully loaded and ready for an extended cruise at haul out a few years ago. Hunter has the Passage 42 factory displacement listed at 24,000, but they do not say how equipped. Does that include the mast and all rigging including sails? When she was hauled the water tanks and fuel tank were full plus she was fully provisioned. I thought that seemed heavy, too, but I'm just going by what he said.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Factory weight and cruising weight are two very different things. Can't believe how much all that cruising gear weighs... tools, spares, fuel, water, couple of months of grub, tender and a couple of kayaks. My aching back says it all adds up!

Dec 25, 2000
Factory weight and cruising weight are two very different things. Can't believe how much all that cruising gear weighs... tools, spares, fuel, water, couple of months of grub, tender and a couple of kayaks. My aching back says it all adds up!
And be sure to include the beer, lots of it, too. :D

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Next time you're in Anacortes, let me know..saw John leaving (driving) the marina today not smiling and followed by a woman in another car..He doing OK?

Dec 25, 2000
Next time you're in Anacortes, let me know..saw John leaving (driving) the marina today not smiling and followed by a woman in another car..He doing OK?
So so. The woman is his daughter Holly, who he is now living with for the moment. He had another TIA a bit ago, which has her concerned about his health and ability to live alone on the boat. Therapy seems to be helping, but time will tell. Had John over for dinner on Belle-Vie while at the Anacortes Yacht Club dock this past week. He seems much better, but still has some medical issues to sort through.

Give me your phone number and I will call you the next time I'm coming to Anacortes. A beer at the Brown Lantern would hit the spot.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
include the beer, lots of it, too.
That is an interesting issue. Storage is grand on your Belle-Vie but perhaps you should consider a Tap. Would save on bottle or can beer (forbid - heard at Portland Brewfest that no good beer is in cans any more - but these folks were using a large metal keg for a tap so not sure). It might contribute to the ambiance and mystery that is Belle-Vie

Dec 25, 2000
forbid - heard at Portland Brewfest that no good beer is in cans any more
Agree John. My taste leans toward Henry's Blue Boar and Boundary Bay Scotch Ale, both in bottles. I used to prefer Henry's Private Reserve, but it became just too acidic; Blue Boar much smoother.

Wine choice for cruising becomes more serious leaning toward the high end vintage red stuff such as Franzia Merlot five liter box wine. January was a good month. :biggrin:

Jan 5, 2017
My kinda guy. Great taste! I think I'll have to come down there to get it. We only get 3 and 4 litre boxes!

Dec 25, 2000
A short story. Normally I have two five liter unopened Franzias tucked away in the bilge and one mostly full available in the cabin for a quick draw when we head out on our extended cruise each season. Several years ago when I was clearing into Canada at Bedwell, I was talking on the phone to this very nice but persistent female agent. Usually the topic changes to vegetables, fruits and firearms by the time I cover all my opened small bottles of this and that, beer in the fridge, etc. But then she asked, "is that all?" Full disclosure here, I told her about the two unopened box wines, she then asked me to standby while she went off line to consult a higher authority.

After several minutes she came back on and told me that was more than I was allowed to bring into Canada. Then she asked whether I had plans to consume it all on board. I told her of course. She then cleared me in and I thanked her profusely. We never did get to all the beer that I had tucked away in the bilge. Whew!

Jan 5, 2017
Some days your ducks are in a row and the Angels are on your side! Usually Border Services have their parties on our dime.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
So so. The woman is his daughter Holly, who he is now living with for the moment. He had another TIA a bit ago, which has her concerned about his health and ability to live alone on the boat. Therapy seems to be helping, but time will tell. Had John over for dinner on Belle-Vie while at the Anacortes Yacht Club dock this past week. He seems much better, but still has some medical issues to sort through.

Give me your phone number and I will call you the next time I'm coming to Anacortes. A beer at the Brown Lantern would hit the spot.
360-757-8464

Jan 5, 2017
Terry you had great timing for your trip. Snowing like crazy here today! Global warming or new ice age?

Dec 25, 2000
Terry you had great timing for your trip. Snowing like crazy here today! Global warming or new ice age?
Hi Michael, yes the timing worked out great except for the chilly temps. Snowed most of the day here, too. Beginning to warm up and the white stuff slowly melting away. Rain later.