MFP Rope

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
How good is this rope? It seems to be some what inexpensive and if good could be used for light duty loads. I installed a couple of no-load halyards some time ago but they have all but disintegrated. I want to replace them and was looking at the MFP rope. The halyards were for SSB antennas or sometimes an adjustable topping lift.

Thoughts?

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I've found polypro to be really, really strong. In Papeete we used ¼" polypro to shuttle the dink from the stern to the quay to get ashore (Med moored). A pretty strong squall blew through one evening, hitting us (and the other boats) on the beam. The boat's dock lines were loose enough that the boat slid sideways a bit, but came up short when the dinghy shuttle line held her fast. Somewhere around 60 knots of wind on the beam and that tiny ¼" polypro line held a 32 ton sailing vessel and whatever pressure the boat next to us was putting on us by resting against our fenders, as well.
However, it degraded rather quickly in the sun and got splintery. It was not braid like the line you are considering, and I have no idea if that makes a difference.