Method Used for Repair of Fatigue Cracks Centerline FWD of Keel

Jun 14, 2016
Catalina C38 - S&S Hull Design Old Lyme, CT
Hello everyone - My name is Bill. I am a new member here. I recently purchased Moxie, a fairly well-preserved and exceptionally graceful-looking 1984 C38. Flag Blue mirror-like top sides, absolutely perfect gel coat cosmetics on deck, out-dated electronics, fully functioning hardware and pristine interior - BUT, . . . some very nasty AND deep cracks on the center line of the hull and forward of the keel. I like to think that I accept reasonable challenges - at the right price!
The cracks were obscured bt bottom and barrier coat but were readily detected by percussion tapping the hull during the survey. A little sanding after purchasing revealed the extent of the issue. The survey exposed this as signs of advancing structural failure perhaps due to years of demanding competition in competitive racing off the coast of Maine. There was also an indication of keel to ground impact - perhaps while the back stay remained in tension which could have been the leading contributor. Having known this and having evaluated and understood the extent of this damage, I proceeded with the sale based on my experience, the sales price and my background with composite reinforcements.
I would like to offer my comments to anyone interested and specifics as to how this issue was addressed and quite economically - though physically challenging - was resolved.