Meet... The Mule

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
After spending all day doing 4.5 knots against the tide, that looks pretty good to me.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Fun to watch, and most of us might like a 'ride along'...
but to compare it to an everyday sailboat is tantamount to trying to compare an F1 car to a Prius. They are both "vehicles" but built for completely different venues. And either one is perfect for its intended use.... :)
Yep, the Prius being butt ugly and the racer being lightning fast.........

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
...or logs in the Salish Sea! Hard enough to keep a good lookout at 6-8 knots and still have fun. A forty foot stick would do some damage at 40 to 50 knots.
This is all like saying it is impractical to take a Ferrari SF71H to get groceries. Thanks Captain Obvious. ;) :rolleyes:

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
There are obvious dangers in moving fast with extra appendages sticking out, but hydro-foil technology has been used on the ocean for decades by ferries and other commercial and military vessels plying the same waters we sail in. There will be accidents that result in a unique class of damages and it is easy to say, "see! I told you so." I'm sure the first commercial airplane accident put a big crimp in progress of the flying industry. Yet, hundreds of thousands of people fly every day now.
It will be devastating for the Mule to hit a submerged container, but that's true at 5 knots or 50 knots. There is a lot of momentum 38 foot boat, even more at 75 feet.
https://www.sailingworld.com/confirmed-flight-for-american-magic
Apparently 9 knots of wind is enough to pick her up on her foils.

-Will (Dragonfly)