MAX PROP - FROZEN - HELP

Jan 1, 2014
Hunter 42 Upper Chesapeake
Went to work on the boat today :)

Max Prop Feathers are stuck in place :-(

Any suggestions? I did catch a crab pot this year. Seemed to be working fine after.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Total lost cause, I can take it off your hands for $5 ;-)
Seriously, is it frozen or can you wiggle it even the smallest amount? If frozen then I'd suggest taking it apart. If you can wiggle it then try just working it back and forth over and over and see if it starts to free up.

Jan 1, 2014
Frozen. Tried a few smacks with the palm of my hand (I know a less the adequate tool) and it does not budge. Will look around for directions on how it works / comes apart.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
A question.
Did you grease it or have it greased? There are two allen type plugs on the hub that you need to remove and shoot grease into. When you buy the prop it comes with a tube of grease, an Allen wrench and two zercs for use in doing this.

My marina showed me a simpler and less expensive way than the zercs and grease gun. I just take the plug out and use a plastic syringe to force the grease in. One of those you use for epoxy work for example

Do it every fall at haul out to force the water out of the hub so that it doesn't freeze over the winter.

It yours hasn't been regularly greased you could either have damage caused by ice or lack of lubrication.

Dec 14, 2011
Navicula 430 Hunter Toronto
FYI......when and if you haul out and store your boat on the hard....put a plastic bag over it with some tape ....it prevents dust and dirt from getting into the very tight spots

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I'm not familiar with Max Prop, but do you think a few squirts of PB Blaster would free it up?

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
I'm not familiar with Max Prop, but do you think a few squirts of PB Blaster would free it up?
Bad idea. The prop is lubricated with waterproof grease that would deteriorate in the presence of a solvent.

Dec 31, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Seattle
I have a Max Prop. Probably needs grease (I do mine every 3 months underwater... well a diver does)... And yes you'd probably have to take it apart and regrease. It's a fantastic prop!

Feb 26, 2011
Only the very oldest model Max Props do not have zerk fittings to make in-water lubrication convenient and easy.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
The boat was pulled? Did it get pressure washed then? Was the prop pressure washed?Are there Barnacles on the prop or shaft? Is it a two or three blade Max Prop? Is there any ice in the fitting of the prop? Are there signs of debris? Are there signs of mechanical distress?

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Is the transmission in neutral? Can you turn the shaft at all?

As you turn the shaft you should be able to move the blades. If you can't turn the shaft...

Jan 1, 2014
Shaft turns. Took the cap n blades off. Remaining piece moves. Going to regrease and install to see if that does it.

Feb 26, 2011
Sure hope you marked the hub and spinner halves with the blades in the feathered position before you took the end cap and blade assembly off.

Jan 1, 2014
Well there is bit of an issue there - they were not in the feathered position. The inner ear labeled with an E Aligns with a drilled dot. I think that is all I need

Feb 26, 2011
Yes, that's all you need- assuming the blades are perfectly feathered when E aligns with the drilled dot.

Jan 1, 2014
After contorting my body and my iPhone camera I was able to get the transmission gearing information. Called max prop with this info and the prop diameter - they were very helpful and gave me the two settings needed.

I had ordered a cheap grease gun and the recommended grease off amazon. Not much grease went in - thought I was good. I decided to take the entire prop halves off to double check the inside setting. Glad I did as there was very little grease left inside. Greased spaces inside and put it all back together. Told my son - if we did this incorrectly as it will be a $500 or so mistake if I need to redo - haul out / in and maybe the cost to block.

Should know to Tomorrow taking it out for motor check and run