Mast Wiring

May 9, 2013
Catalina 310 Oyster Bay, NY
I am getting ready to replace the old non functioning “Tack Tick” wind instrument on the mast head with a new wired model. I know that the wiring will run through the mast and compression post to the bilge. I do not want to remove the mast and hope to drop the new wire down. Does anyone know how big the opening is between the mast step and the compression post? I am planning on lowering a messenger line with a short length of bicycle chain and then pulling the new wind instrument wire down. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Alan #189

May 9, 2013
Paulj, Thank you so much. Your picture of the mast step on the deck is exactly what I wanted to see. The old Tack Tick is wireless, but I have an unused vhf wire to use as a pull wire. I just wasn't sure how big the opening was on the deck. Thanks again.

May 9, 2013
There is no old wire! The "Tack Tick" is a wireless wind instrument.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
This is why I love this forum, always someone who has done it previously and has solutions!
Thanks to all who share!

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
My mast had the wiring and receiver already in it from the factory to install the Raymarine ST60 Wind making my installation a wiz. In the forward section of the bilge should be a coil of 4 conductor wire. Check to see it it is there.