Mast electrical Hunter 26.5

Jul 2, 2016
Hunter 26.5 Paris Landing TN
My wife and I bought a hunter 26.5 and love the boat, with one caveat. No sooner as we put it into the water the mast head light and the port and starboard mast light quit working after we had already turned back in our man lift that we used to raise the mast. I tested the circuit from the deck and the forward connection seems to have a closed circuit but there is nothing on the rear deck connection. Since taking the boat out of the water to lower the mast is not an option I am wondering if the mast is strong enough to use the winch and a climbing harness to send my wife up the mast to check the bulbs and or wiring on the mast. Never having a sailboat before I am nervous about trying it without getting some advice first. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
image.jpeg

Back when my 26.5 was in the water, I went up the mast twice. First time to install a VHF antenna and cable, second time to install a spinnaker halyard crane and block. I'm a little under 200 lbs. and I felt safe going up. We used the main halyard on the bosun's chair and kept the jib halyard shackled in for safety. Closely Inspect your standing rigging and halyards before you go up. I also tied another line from the chair to the masthead while I was up there working.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The suggestion of another line attached to the bosuns chair for safety is much suggested by me as well. Your wife weighs less than you so the less weight aloft is better only if she is willing but if not, do not get angry with her as some are scared helpless going up. In addition, very little movement going up on the deck or the boat will sway like heck sideways and that you do not want. Also an additional line attached to raise and lower tools as needed and stay away from under her while working in the eventr a tool is lost falling down so it will not hit you. Do this on calm days with very little room.

Suggest that you check the power coming to the deck plug and the plugs themselves to see if not corroded which a little sanding might help first.

Jul 2, 2016
Well, this boat has been a learning experience thats for sure... So cleaned the plugs that go through the deck and with it being day time we couldn't see if the lights were working or not. So not having any current through one of the plugs we decided we would go up the mast to check the bulbs and wiring aloft. Well, apparently I was too much for my wife to winch up so we decided to trade places. I explained to her what to do once she got up there and I secured her in my climbing harness and began winching her up. Well... thats about the end of the good part, (keep in mind we are new sailboat owners and we are learning by trial and error) About 8 feet above the deck the main sail line got double wrapped around itself on the winch, essentially preventing me from lowering her due to the inability to get any slack in the line. After about 30 minutes of a wife who could had killed me and MacGyvering a solution I finally got her down safely. There were several lessons learned on for this event.
  1. Check the lights at night time before attempting to ascend the mast regardless of what the electrical meter reads.
  2. That my wife can take it like a champ (even though she was ill)
  3. Invest in some more ascending equipment.
All in all when it was all said and done the lights ended up working and we were able to safely take Dionysus out for the 4th of July and watch the fireworks. Thanks for all the helpful advice.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Before you do something like that again, feel free to email me via forum email and let me walk you thru that as I use to be a dealer who ascended the mast of a 26.5 many times along with many other sailboats over the years. See my other post about Lighthouse Landing and Rooke Sails for future help directed at you.
crazy dave

Jul 2, 2016
I will defiantly contact you first before attempting another trek up the mast that's for sure. Thanks for the offer. I am familiar with lighthouse landing its about 40 miles down river from our location and I know they have haulout facilities and the such if ever needed. The wife and I would like to make a sail up there one long weekend.

Apr 18, 2017
Hunter 26.5 Brick, New Jersey
As a brand new owner of a 26.5 the previous owner has climbed the mast many times, in fact he left me his climbing gear and bosun's chair to do so, being approx 200lbs or so, he never had a problem, me as a certified coward probably would never attempt it unless it's a life and death emergency...although the equipment and mast are completely sound to hold my 230lbs...