Registered users don't see ads

Mariner 2+2 deck recore

Discussion in 'Day Sailers' started by andy creighton, Apr 14, 2019. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. andy creighton

andy creighton

Joined Jun 10, 2016
    16 posts, 0 likes
    Alcort Sunfish
    Un Back yard
    Found a soft spot in the fore deck of mt boat last week and decided it was time for a recore before season.

Turned out to be a much easier project than I expected.

[​IMG]
    Started by measuring on top and transferring to a patch about 6x12 underneath. I cut the glass with a vibrating saw and peeled it back with a putty knife.

The wood underneath was dry and rot free but, being end grain, some of the rings had separated. According the dent I found.
    I cut the soft spot with a razor knife and chiseled the wood out for inspection.
    [​IMG]
    There were some air bubbles above the wood so I smoothed them out, beveled the edges of the glass with a sander and prepped my patches.
    [​IMG]

The patches prepped and epoxied in easily and I wetted the glass fabric in- cabin on a drop cloth before pressing it in place and squeezing out the air. Epoxy holds upside down really well and this went MUCH easier than I expected. I did place a block in against the patch just to be sure it didn't get air underneath before curing.

Hopefully tomorrow I can add another couple layers of fabric and epoxy, paint Tuesday, and be on the water next weekend.

NEW, updated Get Rid of Boat Odors
The bible of marine toilets and plumbing, expanded and updated for 2016!
Noflex Sewage Treatment
Treat sludge and odor problems in holding tanks.
Gray Enterprises port gasket
Stop winter leaks. Compare our price!
Mainsail covers
Pre-patterned mainsail covers to fit your boat