Mariner 2+2 deck recore

Jun 10, 2016
Alcort Sunfish Back yard
Found a soft spot in the fore deck of mt boat last week and decided it was time for a recore before season.

Turned out to be a much easier project than I expected.

Started by measuring on top and transferring to a patch about 6x12 underneath. I cut the glass with a vibrating saw and peeled it back with a putty knife.

The wood underneath was dry and rot free but, being end grain, some of the rings had separated. According the dent I found.
I cut the soft spot with a razor knife and chiseled the wood out for inspection.

There were some air bubbles above the wood so I smoothed them out, beveled the edges of the glass with a sander and prepped my patches.

The patches prepped and epoxied in easily and I wetted the glass fabric in- cabin on a drop cloth before pressing it in place and squeezing out the air. Epoxy holds upside down really well and this went MUCH easier than I expected. I did place a block in against the patch just to be sure it didn't get air underneath before curing.

Hopefully tomorrow I can add another couple layers of fabric and epoxy, paint Tuesday, and be on the water next weekend.