Marine head strokes to tank

Rxsail

Mar 25, 2018
Hunter 30T Lake Norman
As I read Peggy’s book, has anyone actually been able to accurately determine the number of strokes it takes to get waste from the bowl to the holding tank? I have a1992 30t with a new Jabesco manual head.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Until you hear the 'thud'?

The manual says "(allow 7 complete up/down strokes per metre (yard) length of discharge pipework)."

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
It depends on the length of the hose from your head to hold tank.
But...
What I think you want is perhaps what Justin_NSA just said or...
Just enough to clear the high point loop and start Downhill.

On mine 3 full strokes, remembering the Down stroke is to push to the hold tank.
Jim...

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Ideally, the hose from the toilet to the tank shouldn't be longer than 6', because that's as far a most toilets--manual or electric --can move bowl contents in the amount of time anyone wants to spend pumping or keep their finger on the flush button. Unfortunately, boat builders put tanks anywhere...I've seen 'em 20' or further from the toilet. Pumping in the wet mode enough times to move bowl contents even 6' will fill up a tank with flush water very quickly. There are two ways to solve that problem:
1. Put a loop--not necessarily a vented loop, just a loop--that's at least an inch or two higher than the top of the tank in the toilet discharge line immediately after the toilet. That will allow you to pump only long enough to move bowl contents over the top of the loop...gravity will do the rest.
2. Learn to use the dry mode to do more than just remove the last of the water from the bowl. Few people know that any manual marine toilet that's working anywhere close to factory spec (which is why the joker valve should be replaced annually...see my article "joker valve 101" in plumbing and sanitation forum or my book for the explanation) can move bowl contents up to 6 linear feet or lift up to 4 feet in the dry mode...it only starts to "come apart" after that. So start flushing by pumping in the dry mode long enough to move the bowl contents over the top of the loop, then switch to wet for a couple of pumps to rinse the bowl and switch back to "dry" to push that over the top. If you do it this way, you can increase the number of flushes your tank can hold by more than 50%.

Oh...btw...always add water to the bowl ahead of solids. If your toilet isn't one designed to bring water into the bowl and hold it--and few if any manual toilets are--use a cup from the sink. You'll need to bring in very little flush water to clean the bowl if you always do that.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein