Major Credit Information Breach

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
If this is true, then you need to check your accounts and find ways to protect yourselves. I am not sure what to do. But be prudent about watching your accounts.
http://www.foxbusiness.com/features...ffected-by-criminal-cybersecurity-breach.html
It's true. The best thing you can do is change your passwords for all bank and credit card account sites that you access online and update your profiles to make sure that you've elected to be notified by text, phone AND email in the event of any suspicious activity on any of 'em...watch your accounts yourself like a hawk for any charges you didn't make....I've always done that once a week anyway. Freeze your credit reports on all three credit reporting agencies (find instructions for doing that on their sites).

Scammers thrive on events like this. So do not respond to ANY emails or phone calls claiming to be from your bank or credit card issuer...if you get one, call the bank to find out whether they sent it. And it should go without saying that you never provide ANY information about any account to anyone unless you originated the contact.

These days, if you're not at least a little paranoid when it comes to money, you need to be!

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Equifaxsecurity2017.com to see if you've been effected and signup to be notified when they start free credit monitoring for those the burned (again)

Les

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Anyone notice the three big-wigs who sold off $1.8 million of their Equifax stock just after the breach was found, but before it was made public? :stir:

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
No pot stirring required.

"But according to filings with the SEC, Equifax Chief Financial Officer John Gamble sold shares worth nearly $950,000 on August 1.

Joseph Loughran, Equifax's president for U.S. information solutions, sold shares worth about $685,000 on August 1 as well.

And Rodolfo Ploder, president of workforce solutions, sold stock for just more than $250,000 on August 2"

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
The shares were probably sold when they were eligible, i.e., August 1st. That looks like what it was. If they sold them with knowledge of the security breach, they are idiots and will go to jail. It would be customary to get permission from the chief legal officer before, so I sure hope they did, for their sake.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I just enrolled today in Equifax's credit monitoring.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
This is their second breach. You really trust them with the info to monitor you???

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2013
O'day 23 Pa
not to mention the fine print that says if you sign up for the "free" monitoring, you can no longer sue them or be part of a class action against them!!! bastards!

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
The shares were probably sold when they were eligible, i.e., August 1st. That looks like what it was.
You are probably right, but the timing of the whole dang process is what will be suspect.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
not to mention the fine print that says if you sign up for the "free" monitoring, you can no longer sue them or be part of a class action against them!!! bastards!
I saw that too. We used to have a government and regulators who protected us from pirates. Good luck going alone.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
After 3 years of having that service, I left 2 months ago, before the breach. $18/mo.
But it doesn't matter.
Why?
Your credit info is spread out to at least 3 major Credit Ratings Services.

How did that get there?
Any credit you have ever decided to use, YOU put your info out there.

So...
Nothing I can do to stop my info from leaking. Equifax or not.

Now, you can restrict your assets from attack. See your local bank's protection and make sure any credit cards have limited liability to you or drop the Card.

Any other assets I have, takes a minimum of 3 cross checks and my voice to shift assets.
Jim...

PS: One main reason I completely removed any software or apps supplied by your favorite Web Search Engine[G] and I never use my personal info in social media.;)

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I just went into my Equifax account, monitoring stopped, of course. There were no alerts.:clap:

But Found the beginning of there Privacy Policy... Ready for it?

"We have built our reputation on our commitment to deliver reliable information to our customers (both businesses and consumers) and to protect the privacy and confidentiality of personal information about consumers. We also protect the sensitive information we have about businesses. Safeguarding the privacy and security of information, both online and offline, is a top priority for Equifax" emphasis added.;)

I just called my retirement account people. They just did an "added" security at my request.:)
Jim...

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I rarely post vids that are longer than a few minutes, but this one...