Registered users don't see ads

Mainsail slug binds in the mast track

Discussion in 'Ask A Macgregor Owner' started by My Mistress, Feb 8, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. My Mistress

My Mistress

Joined Nov 30, 2015
    197 posts, 25 likes
    MacGregor 26S
    US Lakehills, Tx
    When I try to raise my mainsail, the slug at the head binds in the track about 12inches below the masthead, preventing the sail from being fully raised. I've tried jerking the main halyard, putting all my weight on it, lubing the track, nothing seems to work. Any ideas? I'd hate to force it up,and then not be able to lower the mainsail.

Caveats:
    The sail is old, and could probably be recut.
    The slugs are 1/2". I have one at the head of the sail. I read somewhere that adding a second slug just below the topmost one would help.

2. BudGates

BudGates

Joined Apr 19, 2012
    1,006 posts, 114 likes
    Macgregor 26d
    US Ridgecrest CA
    Although it is true that having double slugs at the head of the sail will keep the slugs aligned better, it sounds like you have some restriction in the mast. Your best option would be to drop the mast (fairly easy on a Mac) and try the sail slugs in the mast while it's down. Then you'll be able to pin point the issue better.

My Mistress likes this.
  3. Bill Roosa

Bill Roosa

Joined Jun 6, 2006
    6,942 posts, 134 likes
    Hunter 40.5
    US Harrington Harbor North, MD
    A picture of the head of the sail would be helpful. Is there more than one attachment point for the halyard? How are you attaching the halyard to the head? I'm thinking that the halyard sheave is not seeing a fair lead. Having the sail head attached too far from the luft line (aft of the luft line proper) will cause problems. If the method of attachment does not allow the halyard to lead fair that will cause things to get bound up. this is much more important as the head gets close to the sheave.

Will Gilmore likes this.
  4. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore

Joined Oct 19, 2017
    2,147 posts, 842 likes
    O'Day 19
    US Littleton, NH
    An old main. An old halyard and swivel? Likely, there is twisting as the halyard reaches its end and the sail won't let it twist. (Just a guess, of course, but easy to check and fix if I'm right).
    [​IMG]

- Will (Dragonfly)

My Mistress likes this.
  5. Traveler

Traveler

Joined Nov 29, 2017
    18 posts, 3 likes
    MacGregor 26M
    US Home
    Try raising the boom with your boom lift.

I had the same problem. When I pulled the boom lift, so as to raise the boom a few inches more than where it was when the slugs got jammed. It worked. The slugs then traversed to the top. Simple solution to an irritating problem.

Will Gilmore likes this.
  6. Sumner

Sumner

Joined Jan 31, 2009
    5,077 posts, 173 likes
    Macgregor 26S/Endeavour 37 .
    US Utah's Canyon Country

My Mistress likes this.
  7. Joe

Joe

Joined Jun 1, 2004
    6,342 posts, 284 likes
    Catalina 27
    US Mission Bay, San Diego
    Traveler's comment will most likely solve the problem. Release the mainsheet and boom vang, even try lifting it with your shoulder or the topping lift, to take the pressure off the leech, and thus the top off the sail.... Before you hoist again, spray a little SailKote.. or silicon lubricant on the slug and the sail track.

My Mistress and Will Gilmore like this.

Merriman pedestal control head
Finally, an aluminum replacement for this YS Merriman part.
Sunbrella lifesling covers
Any color, fits over existing bag to match your existing canvas.
Flexible steel chafe pads
Innovative new product made of flexible, laser cut stainless steel. Must see!
Leaky Lewmar ports?
Start by replacing lens gaskets in stock now