Main sheet, O’Day 2

Hamp

Oct 14, 2017
O'Day Daysailer 2 East Moriches,NY
Just bought boat and have amidship mainsheet arraigment. Noticed jib backwinding Main. Would end boom sheeting help? Pros and cons on both would be appreciated. Love the boat!

Jul 19, 2015
Beneteau 343 BVI
I don’t know the pros or cons between the placement of the sheet but I do know that where the sheet is on the boom is not going to help with backwinding the main. The boom is ridged and to stop the jib from backwinding the main that is a sail trim on the jib.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
You might look into a vang system. Flattening your main by pulling down on the boom may help in most situations. This might also be addressed by changing the sheet setup farther aft, as your question is suggestion but, not as likely.
- Will (Dragonfly #2632)

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Just bought boat and have amidship mainsheet arraigment. Noticed jib backwinding Main. Would end boom sheeting help? Pros and cons on both would be appreciated. Love the boat!
No..... Check the placement of your jib leads. Either bring the main closer to center, or ease out the jib....

Hamp

Oct 14, 2017
O'Day Daysailer 2 East Moriches,NY
What I am thinking is with end boom sheeting the boom will be closer to centerline. I have reached up and manual centered the boom, which removed the backwinding of the main.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
You should be able to flatten out the jib by moving the leads aft, flatten out the main by vanging, maybe moving your sheet for better angles. Do you have your sheet on a traveler? You may have old sails that have stretched out of shape a little or maybe your boat doesn't point as well to windward as you would like her to.
- Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
It may be that previous owners have used the mainsail without the jib (I do it as my "first reef" as wind increases) enough that the main is more stretched out than the jib, so the jib is able to "outpoint" the main. The jib on the DS is sometimes difficult to trim due to it's size compared to the main and the way the jibsheets are rigged. I have found that what seems like a tiny adjustment of the jib sheet results in a big difference in trim. The mid-boom mainsheet is not perfect, really could use a traveler, but works and is less trouble than end-boom sheeting. Unless you are going to rig the end-boom sheeting to a rope traveler (fixed position or adjustable), at best I think you will find little improvement over the mid-boom without adding more complication. Worth doing if you race, but I doubt the added complication will result in that much benefit for "daysailing".
I think as others have said, that the real problem is older sails that may be stretched out. I do agree that adding a boom-vang if you don't already have one is a big help! It will hold the boom down, flattening the sail plus that results in more of the pull of the mainsheet going to pull the boom towards the centerline, less serving to pull the boom downward. I find it much harder to trim the main in the last few inches if my boom-vang is loose.
So, try easing the jib sheet ever so slightly to open up the slot between main and jib, lay off a couple of degrees ,and you should find things work better. I'll include a page from my DS II Owners Manual showing ideas for how O'Day originally had the mainsheet set up prior to switching to the mid-boom, and how some owners have modified their end-boom setups.

Attachments

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
One other consideration, make sure the downhaul is tight and the halyard is hoisted to full height. This should remove any excess bag in the luff, if there is any.
- Will (Dragonfly)