Main Sheet Cleat???

Oct 9, 2013
Hunter 30 Lusby, MD
I can't be the only one to think it is not a good idea to have the main sheet run to a cleat as it is on my 1982 Hunter 30. I would like to see how other Hunter owners have modified this poor OEM design. Thanks in advance for your suggestions and pics.
82H30-main_sheet_cleat.JPG

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I agree. That is not great. Hard to release quickly. Typically, the main sheet is held by a cam cleat or put in the self-tailer if on a winch.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Intrepid-II not sure what you mean by “bad design”. The mainsheet is managed using a traveler. The traveler adjusts the fine sail position as the main sheet holds the gross position.
This is different from smaller boats that adjust the sail with the mainsheet.
That does not mean sail boat owners have not eliminated cleats by the use of jam cleats, cam cleats or line clutches.

Oct 22, 2014
Yes a cam cleat would give you easier adjustment. Is that how you normally sail?
You may want to consider the techniques you like to use.
If your cruising is one tack for long durations, then having an easy to adjust mainsheet is less valuable to having a secure form of holding the mainsheet.
If tacking frequently in gusty conditions, then the quick hold quick release of a cam cleat is essential.
Do you adjust (trim) your main with the traveler ?

Oct 9, 2013
Hunter 30 Lusby, MD
jssailem, My only real experience is on my own 82 Hunter so I just make do with what I have.
I don't race or cruise but I would like to improve my sail trimming and feel that I don't adjust the main as much as I should because the cleat makes it not so easy or quick to experiment and learn. You bring up a good point about the traveler so I will have to play with it more.

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
Take a look at this link. Post #3 in the thread shows my set-up : https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/main-sheet.152168/#post-1037183

Searching the Cherubini forum will yield other threads about routing the mainsheet.

If you go the cam cleat route, I would suggest that you also lead the main sheet through a rope clutch as shown in my picture. There are times when additional security other than just a cam cleat is needed. Such as a foray to the mast. Must be 100% sure the boom can't come loose. Also, the rope clutch acts as a fair lead. Helps keep the sheet in-line ... making it easier to direct the sheet into the narrow cam cleat opening.

On San Francisco Bay, the wind is most frequently strong, gusty and quickly changeable in direction. On virtually no notice, I must be able to quickly release the main sheet to spill wind, and then pull it in again when its safe to resume the original sheeting. All from behind the wheel. Adjusting the traveler just can't be done quick enough. And on my older boat, the traveler car and 4x purchase gives too much resistance to again return the car back to the center line against the heal and the strong wind. I keep the boom vang relatively tight. So when easing on the mainsheet, the boom doesn't raise much. Been successful with my set-up for 10 years now.

I don't remember if the Cherubini Hunter 30 has an aluminum plate underneath the FRP on either side of the companion way. I think it has been discussed over the years, so do a search to find out. The aluminum plate makes installing deck hardware much easier. Drill, tap and screw in. Tip though is an anti-seize compound is a must. Otherwise after a few years the galvanic interaction between SS and Al will virtually corrode the screws in place. Removing can then be a real challenge!

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I replaced my entire system and routing using a triple with cam and becket.
Main Sheet.jpg

Much easier to trim, and freed up an opening in both the deck organizer, and the topside clutch, while simplifying the lines up at the mast side of the boom.

Oct 22, 2014
I just make do with what I have. ..... would like to improve my sail trimming ... feel that I don't adjust the main as much as I should because the cleat makes it not so easy or quick to experiment and learn.
I can relate to your questions. The Sunfish was set up with an easy to trim Mainsail. Most dinghy sail boats are. They need frequent adjustment to maintain a good sailing experience. Like a gocart. The Hunter is a bit different. It is a bit more like a 2 door sedan. It is agile but not squirrely. The sails can be set and then sailed. Minor changes in conditions do not need special trim to provide enjoyment. If your racing then your constantly adjusting the sail. If your racing in a light weight dinghy then you adjust the mainsail or your flipped sucking sea water.
Look at where the traveler has been installed. It is a compromise.
If frequent trim and agile control was the design priority then the traveler would have been located off the end of the boom not the middle like your Hunter. The traveler would span the cockpit beneath the end of the boom and you would have a heavy stand up cam-cleat.
Something like this 6-1 system with heavy mainsheet on my boat.
IMG_1655.JPG
Not saying the cleat is better or worse than the line clutch. Both are going to hold the main sheet. Both can be eased. I think a line clutch is a bit more elegant (a sense of cool), but it is no better functionally. Both are designed to hold the mainsheet on your boat. The trim is designed into the traveler where you have jam-cleats. Easy to lift up and adjust the traveler so you maintain or dump wind as needed. When tacking upwind you can set the mainsheet and then tack back and forth without needing to adjust the main.
Follow @Don Guillette's messages on this forum. He has probably forgotten more sail trim info then most have learned.
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/how-to-practice-sail-trim.189923/

Also read the messages by @Jackdaw. More on racing ideas but he shoots some great videos that show he and his crew sailing his boat. Note in the most recent one he has a dedicated main sheet handler... His mainsheet is in the middle of the cockpit.
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/the-season-begins-sort-of.191378/#post-1455370

Now you could change the traveler and mainsheet handling systems on the boat, but that would be an involved process. As all such processes looking at all the aspects is advised.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I rigged my Hunter 34 the same as in pateco's photo. I sail SF Bay (very windy) and I race. Works great. Quick release when I need it. I can operate the main from the helm. Never had it fail. The cam cleats works fine.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
An upgraded mainsheet system for your boat would run the sheet forward to a block on the mast base ring back through a deck organizer and through that notch next to your traveler and though a rope clutch aligned with a cabin top self-tailing winch. This allows you to have a dodger and provides for easy fine tuning with a winch.

Oct 9, 2013
Hunter 30 Lusby, MD
rardi, pateco and markwbird, Thanks for the pics and explanation of your sheet and traveler systems.
jssailem, I agree with your assessment of the Hunter 30 but I believe every boat has some compromises.
Funny you should mention Sunfish because we have two and they are simple fun.