Magma original grill grease trap

Apr 13, 2015
Catalina 309 Port Charlotte
Hey - recently got a Magma original round grill and mounted on the stern rail. So far works great- yes the regulator is a bit hot, but cooking on the lowest setting has been ok. Only problem is the grease pan underneath now spills all over my walk through stern. I don't know what i was thinking was going to happen with all the drippings mounting it over a portion of the boat.

Searching the forums I see folks complaining about the heat and some mention of the drippings, but don't see any people's solutions.

What do you do? do you wash out the grease each use? Do you find you have to loosen up the mount to be able to get it all out?

Was thinking of drilling a hole in the grease pan and hanging a can below.
any other thoughts?
Thanks - Dave and DD

Apr 13, 2015
Catalina 309 Port Charlotte
Hey there ...guy. Might end up having to do that. I could mount it on the side. It would drip into the water...except when heeling the other way will still likely drip some onto the boat. But you are right that it is currently really convenient. I remove the helm seat and walk through the transom and are standing at the grill in a perfect place for cooking.

Davd

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I had been thinking about a drain pipe in the pan. Trying to figure out how to thread a soda bottle or such to the nipple. Anybody know the thread size of a screw cap? Or a copper pipe long enough to drain beyond the swim platform?

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Hey - recently got a Magma original round grill and mounted on the stern rail. So far works great- yes the regulator is a bit hot, but cooking on the lowest setting has been ok. Only problem is the grease pan underneath now spills all over my walk through stern. I don't know what i was thinking was going to happen with all the drippings mounting it over a portion of the boat.

Searching the forums I see folks complaining about the heat and some mention of the drippings, but don't see any people's solutions.

What do you do? do you wash out the grease each use? Do you find you have to loosen up the mount to be able to get it all out?

Was thinking of drilling a hole in the grease pan and hanging a can below.
any other thoughts?
Thanks - Dave and DD
Not an elegant solution but blue dawn dish liquid and scrub it off. Has to be a better way