Made this for my 146

Mar 21, 2018
hunter 146 Keuka Lake NY/ Jersey Shore
Love the look of wood...even on a composite sailboat (pro custom wood worker here :biggrin:) . I just wanted her to have a little bling, so instead of the hdpe motor cleat....I made this. American black cherry, instead of the traditional Teak (which I also love). Cherry has been used in boat building before, couple of examples I've seen in the Fingerlakes boating museum. Anyway stock SS bracket, SS carriage bolts nuts washers, and 2-1/2" air dried cherry from my property I had cut down 5 years ago. Finished with 5 coats of Spar Varnish. What do you guys think! Ok?

Attachments

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
KeukaSailer,
That is a beautiful piece of wood and I love that you got to use a piece from your own tree. Very nice work.

I don't want to sound critical, because I am not at all, I love what you have done. I am only suggesting that you have chosen a flat sawn piece that may be susceptible to cupping because of that. It may have no problems at all, especially with a motor mounted nearly full time to the piece. However, you might consider gluing a spline across the end grain to help support the piece from cupping. I would guess the approximate dimensions at 1-1/2" thick by 8" wide. That is a large piece of cherry. The radial lines of your end grain look fairly tight and that is where cupping occurs as the drying wood straightens that radius out. It would add to the bling, if you were to cut a dado across that end grain of about 1/2" width by 1-1/2" depth and glue a well fitted piece of Ash into the groove. The lighter ash would be a nice little detail. Something darker could also have a similar effect. Only time will tell if the wood is stable on its own, but if it does cup, it will likely check also.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Mar 21, 2018
hunter 146 Keuka Lake NY/ Jersey Shore
Hey Will! No offense taken. I do this kind of stuff for a living, and If I got offended everytime someone offered critical ideas....I'd probably do something else. I always keep an open mind. Pretty close on your guess for dimensions. It's actually 7" wide on the flat, and 2-1/2" thick. I Air dried this stuff for the last 5 years outside with the last 6months inside the shop. Normally I'd agree with you, about using flat sawn lumber in that way, however this is a really narrow thick piece so I don't expect any cupping. I haven't experienced any checking in the stock it came from so far only time will tell if it will. Air drying is the key here, and an advantage vs kiln drying. Also nice idea about the spline of differing wood, that would look good. :biggrin: