Macgregor 26X Bow Rail Replacement

May 7, 2018
Macgregor 26X Chatfield Lake
Help, the bow rail got bent this summer on my 1996 26X.
I've found a replacement bow rail...but now the fun begins.
Do any other 26X owners have experience replacing a bow rail on a 26X?
Are the bow rail nuts embedded into the fiberglass?
Sea Horse Bow Rail 20180930.jpg

If not, how did you access the nuts to remove and install the new bow rail?
Any experienced advice will be appreciated, Dave

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Search for a pulpit, rather than a bow rail, may give you better results. To see how it is attached you should crawl into the vee berth and check it out.

May 7, 2018
Thanks Joe, Yes, I have crawled into the vee berth and the anchor locker and none of the bow rail bolts/nuts are visible. They are hidden by the Interior cowling.. I've searched for a replacement bow rail and found one in California near you.. But haven't found a photo online of a Pulpit yet.. Dave

Newell

Apr 28, 2009
2 Macgregors 26X and 26D Lakes in Utah
When I wired and moved my nav. light from the deck to the bow rail on my 96X I was able to locate all the bolts and nuts. The the bow rail attachments are assessible through the vee birth by removing the black plastic cover and all blocks of foam. The nuts are hard to reach, needing extensions for your sockets. It's about a 7 in hard jobs to do. Bed and seal the new bow rail with 3 M 5200 or 4000.

Jun 1, 2015
Macgregor 26d Trailer Estates, Fl
I rebedded my 26D over the winter. The picture doesn’t show bases, but if your replacement has them note that the are different.

I was surprised that there was no backing and small washers, even on the cleats!

I believe the info from Newell is also for a classic as those models do not have an anchor locker, but space that was filled with floatation.

I would recommend using the butyl tape instead of 5200.

May 7, 2018
Newell, thanks for sharing this info...
My 26X doesn't have a black plastic cover in the vee berth..
As William stated, that is where the Anchor locker is... but there is a white interior cowling.
To me it looks like I would have to drill access holes into the interior cowling to reach those bow rail bolts.
Could you use some kind of a heavy duty dry wall anchor bolt system to reinstall the new bow rail bolts?
Dave

May 7, 2018
I found the access panel to replace the 26X bow rail.. It is way in the front of the V Berth under the Anchor Locker.
Removed the screws and about a bushel basket full of Styrofoam to access the bow rail nuts..
Needed a deep 3/8" socket to loosen the nuts.
Had a friend on the outside removing the phillips head bolts once I had loosened the nuts.
Total project took 6 hours.