MacGregor 26 side stays/running rigging

Sep 18, 2018
Macgregor 26s DETROIT
I am looking at purchasing a MacGregor 26s. It's a 1990. Got some problems here and there, but nothing that a little bit of application in elbow grease couldn't fix Through Time. One of the things he says is wrong with it is that he said the sides day, the running rigging had pulled out of the deck. Here's my question, are MacGregor side stays running rigging mounted just into fiberglass? Or are these side stays mounted into a metallic structural crossmember underneath the deck? Anyone familiar with MacGregor construction out there? Please advise.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I had a 26S. The side stays are bolted to the hull, not the deck. So they are in shear, not tension. It may be that the 2 rivets on the cover plates on the deck pulled out, in which case you are in luck. They can be rebedded and riveted back.
Don't tell the seller. he might be giving you a break in the price.:shhh:
That's all I know without pics.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
…. so it begs the question, are there chain plates mounted to the hull that have been displaced? Are you talking about running rigging (ropes - lines) or standing rigging (wire shrouds)?

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
The chainplate (a 1/8" or so piece of stainless flat stock) protrudes through the deck and is bolted to the inside of the hull with 3 bolts. I added the plate on the outside, you should see just 3 round headed bolts on your exterior. The is a cover plate on the top sides, that is held on with 2 rivets. Remove the cover to rebed the chainplate ( a very common source of water inside a Mac).

Sep 18, 2018
Macgregor 26s DETROIT
Thanks you guys. Apparently I was mistaken. My seller was just talking about the two side wires that hold a mast up while it's being raised. Apparently the standing rigging is intact on this vessel. Got a couple scrapes scrapes and Oregon in the gel coat, but I think it's nothing that isn't manageable.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Ah, the "baby stays". The brackets on the deck were probably not backed up properly in the ceiling. I used large washers and covered the holes with plastic plugs available at hardware stores. Macs use several in assorted sizes . Not a deal breaker.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
A 1990 Mac is quite likely to have a few dings. Then again, a 1990 (anything) is likely as well.