Low water pressure? Beneteau 40

Mar 7, 2018
Beneteau 40 Coyote Point Marina SFO
Hi y’all. I’m new to the big boat world so I’m all ears for some advice. Why would my water pressure be extremely weak at both the galley and head faucet and the shower? The pump seems to pressurize the lines but not enough?? Is there a pressure valve? It used to work fine a few months ago. Thank y

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Have you removed the aerators/shower head to check for debris?

Mar 7, 2018
No. I would if I knew what they were. I really could use a manual for these sort of things

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
There is probably a water filter on the water pump input. Unscrew it to clean the gook out of it. Make sure to put the O ring back on!

ToddS

Sep 11, 2017
Beneteau 373 Cape Cod
If everywhere you can get water (galley, head, deck shower? etc) all went weak simultaneously... it's likely the filter that's generally right "before" the pump... rinse the screen, and careful with the o-ring as stated above. If that's clean, maybe the vent(s). Do you have more than one water tank, and if so, is one weaker/stronger than the other... If only one of multiple tanks is slow, its less likely the filter, and more likely the vent, since each tank has its own vent, but generally only one filter which would impact all tanks equally. If one or two faucets are slow, but another is still strong, it is more likely the faucet head aerators. If all of those suggestions fail, and you're still low on pressure, it could be the impeller in the pump itself... the little plastic blades in there can get damaged/worn and lose their effectiveness at pushing water. I've never had this problem myself, but I've heard winterizing antifreeze can harm the impeller blades.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I don't have a filter or accumulator, but My low pressure was the Aerators. I also suggest running the water for quite a while with the aerators removed to flush any additional debris from your water lines.

For those of you with accumulators, how much do they improve your performance? My water is a little spurty as the pump tries to keep up.

I have been thinking of adding one of the cheap Jabsco accumulators to my system.
Jabsco Accumulator.jpg

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
I don't have a filter or accumulator, but My low pressure was the Aerators. I also suggest running the water for quite a while with the aerators removed to flush any additional debris from your water lines.

For those of you with accumulators, how much do they improve your performance? My water is a little spurty as the pump tries to keep up.
I am not sure how a problem with an accumulator would affect water pressure and @pateco maybe your question should be submitted as a new post but you asked.
This accumulator will definitely smooth the water flow and reduce the cycling on and off of a water pump particularly if you have polyethylene tubing rather than rubber hoses in your domestic water system. It is small, light and inexpensive but adjusting the tank's pre-charge pressure is a bit finicky. I have found that the bladder lasts for about 3-4 years and then the pump must be replaced. Also although the specs state 1 liter (33oz), the best I have measured is about 8oz.

Mar 7, 2018
Thank you everyone! I will be back to my boat in a few daze to put your suggestions in action. Cheers.

Jun 13, 2019
Catalina 34 Illinois International Port Di
Yes, the water pressure is not enough. You can solve it by changing the faucet and shower head. However, I have no experience with faucets that increase water pressure. I can only recommend high-pressure shower heads for low water pressure areas - Speakman.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Don't rule out a faulty pressure switch. I had one. Reduced system pressure by only 10psi in my case, though.

I have a big accumulator, which is simply a domestic expansion tank of about 2.5 gallons; mine is a marine-branded one with a mounting plate and a couple of big band clamps (hose clamps) to secure it. Works great. I mounted it with the water port down, through a ball valve, so I can isolate it during system repairs, drain it for winterizing, and isolate it again while winterizing so I don't have to fill it with anti-freeze when I'm filling the lines.