Loose Volacno Tube

Sep 11, 2013
Catalina 25 6106 Lake Erie Metro Park
In the process of changing my keel cable and volcano hose I discovered that the volcano tube is loose. I ground away what appeared to be epoxy that had sealed it around the top. I can turn it by hand but I can't pull it out. Does it have to come out or can I just reseal it? I want to do the job right but don't want to be anymore invasive than necessary.

Volcano Tube.JPG

Tom G

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
That petrified garden hose fixture makes my stomach all jumbly.

You might want to take a look at that as well.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
That petrified garden hose fixture makes my stomach all jumbly.

You might want to take a look at that as well.

yea, get rid of that garden hose gate valve while down there and put in something proper...(would you trust that on the side of your house, let alone in the bottom of your boat?) :yikes:

epoxy/glass in the volcano base tube as clouddiver and others have done...2 cents...

Last edited:

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
In the process of changing my keel cable and volcano hose I discovered that the volcano tube is loose. I ground away what appeared to be epoxy that had sealed it around the top. I can turn it by hand but I can't pull it out. Does it have to come out or can I just reseal it? I want to do the job right but don't want to be anymore invasive than necessary.

View attachment 141562

Tom G
From what I have seen on my boat is that the brass metal tube is threaded on the one end. This threaded end is fitted into the epoxy. I would definitely make an effort to get it out as its not just about epoxy sticking to epoxy - it's also about the epoxy sticking to the metal!

So it may be loose but to get it out you will probably have to "unscrew" it! Righty tighty - lefty loosey?