looking for heavy-duty mast cleaner

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
About to pull our mast and among the many tasks planned is a good cleaning. It is really dirty especially the black stains under the speaders so I need much more than a liguid detergent, rather a cleaner polisher that the manufacturer specifies is safe for ANODIZED aluminum.
Thanks for any guidance.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Larry, I buff up my boom with either Flitz or Prism polish every spring. Between the two I seem to get the best results with Prism. Anodizing safe, you are just removing the corrosion salt and staining.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Larry,
When I had my mast down I discussed this issue with my rigger. The bottom line was... It is aluminum..
  • Paint will look good for a while then wear and require require repainting.
  • Anodizing is possible, but means stripping off all hard wear and finding a joker with a big enough tank, or a make shift tank with some nasty chemicals.
  • Polish and buff... eventually this wears off and either climb the mast for another polish and buff or remove mast and repeat.
  • Or rinse and with a scotch brite pad remove the corrosion and crusty bits back to clean metal. In a week the aluminum will coat itself in a surface oxide and the metal is protected showing that grey dull patina that is aluminum in a marine environment.
You have your options as to how you want to spend your time. Choose wisely.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
While my mast was down for wiring I just cleaned and dry lubed the slot and called 'er good. Mainsail slides really nice now. I sprayed the slugs as I raised it the first time.