Looking at the Farr 25. Too much boat for a novice sailor?

Jul 10, 2017
Beneteau 210 Rochester Harbor NY
I would like to enjoy a faster boat. My port is Rochester, NY on the south shore of Lake Ontario. These seem to be in my budget and the videos I have seen are very impressive in terms of the boat's performance. Can these be rigged to be sailed single handed? Or do I need a crew of 4 as all of the videos show?

Thanks,

Bob

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
If you're physically up to the challenge, most boats can be single handed, even the Farr 25. As a novice sailor you will have your hands full especially if you plan to fly a kite solo. How novice a sailor are you? Do you plan on sailing this boat by yourself most of the time? What is your comfort level regarding wind speed?

Jul 10, 2017
Beneteau 210 Rochester Harbor NY
Well, I'm still pretty strong at 61. I cycle a lot with a group here in Rochester and I trailer the family cruiser, launch and retrieve every time we go out. I think I can manage the physical part. I don't think I would try a spinnaker alone out there. Just trying to look at this boat realistically. I would go out initially only on light wind days. There is a huge sailing community here in Rochester and at the Yacht club in particular. I think I would have experienced access at my disposal.
Thanks for your input.
Bob

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The Farr 25 (AKA the Beneteau Platu) is a full on race boat, designed for expert crews. It's a fun boat, but very powerful and would be very easy to get in over your head. So not a sold NO but a caution.

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
Well I am just made this mistake. So I used to have a First 375 with roller furling and mainsail on a track and below decks autopilot. Single handing was no problem, the wind would push me backwards out of the slip, motor for a bit, autopilot head to wind raise main, unfurl jib and good to go. My new boat has a jib that is run up a foil, a two person operation, has a main with a bolt rope and the halyard below decks, so again a two person operation, even motoring is a two person operation the control panel is below decks! So I am busy modifying things to allow for single handing. Main is being converted to slugs, jib will be converted to hanks, looking at a better autopilot etc. I haven't gotten to spinnakers yet!.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
61 year old nerves can lead to bad decisions notwhistanding an excellent physical condition . I find that making quick and sound decisions are key to solo sailing. The slower the boat the better decisions we tend to make. The Farr 25 has terrific acceleration and requires fast trimming and precise reactions in certain conditions. I would compare it to a newbie motorcycle rider that takes off in the bike and cannot twist the throttle down to stop the bike before crashing through a fence. I would say learn how to operate the boat with an experienced crew aboard so you may anticipate boat reaction under different situations before attempting to sail it solo. F1 cars are not a Farr model but you get the idea.

May 18, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 31 Grapevine, TX
I believe it could be sailed single handed, but probably not sailed well. If you want a performance boat and are willing to find 3 friends to sail it well, get it. You can always sail it solo with just the main, and that would be easy. Jib would add to the work and probably result in being overpowered in any kind of wind. Spinnaker should probably be left in the bag.

I used to have a Rocket 22, and would sail it with my then young kids, so essentially single handed. Up to 15, main and jib. More than 15, just main. Spinnaker when I had 3 or 4 crew.

Those kind of boats can be a lot of fun, but you better know what you're getting into. And, you should learn how they handle differently than a traditional keeled boat. You have to keep them going or that fin will stall like there's no tomorrow.

By the way, I'm 60 and can still sail a sport boat well, so rubbish on the "61 year old nerves" comment.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I used to have a Rocket 22, and would sail it with my then young kids, so essentially single handed. Up to 15, main and jib. More than 15, just main. Spinnaker when I had 3 or 4 crew.
one of my dream boats!

Jul 22, 2018
Beneteau Figaro and Platu Toronto
I would like to enjoy a faster boat. My port is Rochester, NY on the south shore of Lake Ontario. These seem to be in my budget and the videos I have seen are very impressive in terms of the boat's performance. Can these be rigged to be sailed single handed? Or do I need a crew of 4 as all of the videos show?

Thanks,

Bob
I hade one

Thanks,

Bob
I have one in Toronto
Fun boat to sail and I single hand it all the time
I also have a Figaro and 66 so the 61 comment is irrelevant
Nice thing is the boat sails great with only the main if you are lazy that day
Tough to use the spin alone if it’s windy and the auto pilot I have isn’t up to the task

Would need an upgraded auto with a fluxgate compass to handle the spin
I have bit symmetrical and symmetrical spins
There is a custom carbon fibre prod that also flies a code0

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
i vote you buy it. fast is always fun. that hot rod will attract crew easily. it's designed to have fun in. it's an over sized planing dingy with a keel. super safe. it's got all the cool toys.

fast always looks good. planing boats are a hoot

May 25, 2012
keep the hull closed. hatch boards in and hatch closed. nothing bad can happen. it's a keel boat with great floatation that way. buy it and never look back, except to wave at the boat you just passed.

Jul 22, 2018
It’s not as fast as you would think as they rate 120 PHRF but respectable
Will keep up to a J80 but much cheaper and better looking :)
Very solid construction
Not really a planing boat but fun to sail

Jul 22, 2018
61 year old nerves can lead to bad decisions notwhistanding an excellent physical condition . I find that making quick and sound decisions are key to solo sailing. The slower the boat the better decisions we tend to make. The Farr 25 has terrific acceleration and requires fast trimming and precise reactions in certain conditions. I would compare it to a newbie motorcycle rider that takes off in the bike and cannot twist the throttle down to stop the bike before crashing through a fence. I would say learn how to operate the boat with an experienced crew aboard so you may anticipate boat reaction under different situations before attempting to sail it solo. F1 cars are not a Farr model but you get the idea.
Lol I am 65 and have scared a lot of 30 ur old s in windy situations
You got balls or you idon’t at any age
Run my Figaro single handed in many 100 mile plus races with the Spin up in over 25 knots of wind

May 25, 2012
S.S , i push my boats hard when i can, but i try not and scare people. it happens, but i try to explain as i go so not to freak crew out. i try hard not to scare.
that way they might just come again.

see, happy crew like this boat

Jul 22, 2018
S.S , i push my boats hard when i can, but i try not and scare people. it happens, but i try to explain as i go so not to freak crew out. i try hard not to scare.
that way they might just come again.

see, happy crew like this boat
Me too but sometimes shit happens or the weather does things you cannot control or explain lol