Registered users don't see ads

Lexan Crib Boards

Discussion in 'Catalina 22' started by Trent Lindsey, Jan 13, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Trent Lindsey

Trent Lindsey

Joined Sep 19, 2017
    23 posts, 6 likes
    Catalina 22
    US Porterville, CA
    Hey All,

I hope the New Year has found you well. I am doing some clean-up and repairs on my '79 C-22 over the winter months and one of my projects it to repair or replace my tired crib boards. I did a search on these forums and discovered that some of you have elected to use Lexan. I did not see anyone link to a manufacturer or retailer of lexan crib boards so, I'm assuming that I could order a sheet of Lexan and cut them myself.

I have seen them done in pieces as well as in a solid single piece. Do any of you have any recommendations on how to best complete this project? Do either of these options present any safety or maintenance concerns?

I look forward to your advice!

2. Gene Neill

Gene Neill

Joined Sep 30, 2013
    2,282 posts, 787 likes
    C-22, Albin Vega
    US central Florida
    I made crib boards for our Albin Vega out of 1/2" dark smoked acrylic. Part of the reason was aesthetics, but also the Admiral wanted to be able to see me in the cockpit at all times if she was down below in foul weather, and vice versa. There are ups and downs to acrylic (Plexiglas) vs polycarbonate (Lexan), but I'll leave that alone. Both are great.

The material was easy to work with, and I was very happy with the results. I made them two piece rather than three, but the Vega's companionway is narrower than the C22's so the boards are smaller. On a C22 I might stick with three pieces. Just determine in advance where and how you plan to store the boards, and the decision will make itself.

Before I cut the two boards into their respective shapes, I took the acrylic sheet to a local cabinetmaker and had him cut it in half with a "rabbet" (like a stair step) in the middle to keep water out. Then I cut the two boards into their proper shapes. The bottom edge of the bottom board is cut at an angle to match the wood trim it sits on. So basically, the acrylic boards are formed exactly like the wooden ones were. :)

Last but not least, you'll want to "burnish" all the edges with a blowtorch. It smooths them out and prevents microscopic cracks in the edge from getting bigger.

Before-and-after pics ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Trent Lindsey

Trent Lindsey

Joined Sep 19, 2017
    23 posts, 6 likes
    Catalina 22
    US Porterville, CA
    Thanks for the reply Gene! That looks great. I prefer this look to the original boards. I will research the differences between plexiglass and lexan.

4. Ron20324

Ron20324

Joined Jan 22, 2008
    6,061 posts, 521 likes
    Beneteau 323
    US Annapolis MD
    The stuff can be heavy, so don't drop it the first time out and break it. Make some storage bags.

Trent Lindsey and Gene Neill like this.
  5. Gene Neill

Gene Neill

Joined Sep 30, 2013
    2,282 posts, 787 likes
    C-22, Albin Vega
    US central Florida
    I forget whose boat this is, I think they are or were a member here ...

[​IMG]

Trent Lindsey likes this.
  6. RoyS

RoyS

Joined Jun 3, 2012
    324 posts, 70 likes
    Hunter 33
    US Bay Pointe, Quincy
    Slightly off topic but the photo above displays an issue that irks me. Boat designers should not slant the companionway entry so that rain may enter the cabin. I performed a short survey in an upscale anchorage last summer and discovered that most high end boats had the companionway entry either slanted in reverse of the photo above or perfectly vertical. My own boat is lacking this feature.

7. SV_GALATEIA

SV_GALATEIA

Joined Sep 24, 2017
    19 posts, 13 likes
    Catalina 22 #14720
    US Cheboygan
    Referencing Gene's posted photo above, what is the decal/plaque to the right of the cabin entrance.

8. Bill19233

Bill19233

Joined Jan 22, 2008
    299 posts, 145 likes
    Hunter 340
    US Baytown TX
    Probably some version of this:
    [​IMG]

9. SV_GALATEIA

SV_GALATEIA

Joined Sep 24, 2017
    19 posts, 13 likes
    Catalina 22 #14720
    US Cheboygan
    Thanks Bill, I think thats it.
    I was thinking it was something like a standard nautical flag quick reference decal which would be handy.

10. Trent Lindsey

Trent Lindsey

Joined Sep 19, 2017
    23 posts, 6 likes
    Catalina 22
    US Porterville, CA
    I think the lexan/plexiglass looks so much better. I really don't feel like pouring epoxy into the old ones and refinishing them when I can get such a better look with these. We'll see how it goes. I have a laundry list of things to do this winter including bottom paint and sewing new cabin and cockpit cushions. Pulling all the teak off this week to refinish. None of this stuff was in the brochure! ;)

rpludwig likes this.
  11. rpludwig

rpludwig

Joined May 23, 2016
    462 posts, 232 likes
    Catalina 22 #12502
    US BSC
    LOL!!!!!

12. HMT2

HMT2

Joined Mar 20, 2014
    543 posts, 108 likes
    Hunter 31
    US Shoreacres, TX

Trent Lindsey and Gene Neill like this.
  13. Captain Larry-DH

Captain Larry-DH

Joined Jun 14, 2010
    325 posts, 115 likes
    Quorning Dragonfly 1200
    US home
    You also have the option of using Starboard sheet. It’s more tolerant of handling and abrasions, and will last the life of your boat.

14. danstanford

danstanford

Joined Aug 2, 2010
    224 posts, 34 likes
    Beneteau 323
    CA Cobourg
    Lexan (polycarbonate) is softer, more expensive, and much more likely to scratch than Plexiglass (acrylic) which is harder and more brittle. You can firepolish the edges of acrylic but should not use propane torches as you will inject impurities into the edge of the material causing problems down the road. We use oxy-hydrogen which causes no problems for polishing edges but it does not work on Lexan.
    Finally, you should never, ever use Windex or any other ammonia based cleaners or you will get crazing and/or cracking.

15. rpludwig

rpludwig

Joined May 23, 2016
    462 posts, 232 likes
    Catalina 22 #12502
    US BSC
    leaning toward starboard here, best source for it, anyone?

16. SFS

SFS

Joined Aug 18, 2015
    1,432 posts, 422 likes
    Hunter 31
    US Tampa Bay
    No specific sources, but check with your local plastics supplier and ask if he has any scraps of it, they are often WAY cheaper.
    I don't know the difference from starboard, but a similar (I think) product is called G10, and it may be worth investigating as well.

17. VisionPNW

VisionPNW

Joined Dec 4, 2017
    34 posts, 5 likes
    Hunter Vision 32
    Un Seattle
    On my Vision 32, I have 4 boards, 2 are lexan, the other 2 wood and they alternate. I hate them. I have had to take them in and out so many times it was driving me crazy. I am in the process of replacing mine with multiwall polycarbonate like used in greenhouses. I'm going with 2 panels on the new ones. We will see how it turns out. I will keep the old ones, possibly use them for really bad weather and when more security is needed. This is a photo of someone else's setup that inspired me.

18. Captain Larry-DH

Captain Larry-DH

Joined Jun 14, 2010
    325 posts, 115 likes
    Quorning Dragonfly 1200
    US home

19. Captain Larry-DH

Captain Larry-DH

Joined Jun 14, 2010
    325 posts, 115 likes
    Quorning Dragonfly 1200
    US home
    G10 is sheet fiberglass. Starboard sheet is better for this application, IMHO, because it's lighter, easier to work (like wood) and the edges don't require any finishing beyond a light sanding to smooth any saw tooth marks. But G10 is stronger. Haven't compared prices.

SFS likes this.
  20. Ron20324

Ron20324

Joined Jan 22, 2008
    6,061 posts, 521 likes
    Beneteau 323
    US Annapolis MD
    Don't miss out on any opportunity to get a clear basketball backboard that someone is giving away, like in the classified section of the paper. I dawdled, and it was gone by the time I called. Not sure what I would have done with it.

Flexible steel chafe pads
Innovative new product made of flexible, laser cut stainless steel. Must see!
Ready-made sheets and halyards
Now faster than ever, our calculator tells you what sizes you need.
Turn any toilet into a Raritan for a fraction of the cost
The Raritan LBA matches your existing bowl with the pump/plumbing of a PHII or PHC. save!
Stainless documentation placard
Who said a documentation placard cant be beautiful? Brushed stainless with laser-fused numerals.