Registered users don't see ads

Lexan Crib Boards

Discussion in 'Catalina 22' started by Trent Lindsey, Jan 13, 2018 at 1:07 PM. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Trent Lindsey

Trent Lindsey

Joined Sep 19, 2017
    9 posts, 2 likes
    Catalina 22
    US Porterville, CA Porterville, CA
    Hey All,

I hope the New Year has found you well. I am doing some clean-up and repairs on my '79 C-22 over the winter months and one of my projects it to repair or replace my tired crib boards. I did a search on these forums and discovered that some of you have elected to use Lexan. I did not see anyone link to a manufacturer or retailer of lexan crib boards so, I'm assuming that I could order a sheet of Lexan and cut them myself.

I have seen them done in pieces as well as in a solid single piece. Do any of you have any recommendations on how to best complete this project? Do either of these options present any safety or maintenance concerns?

I look forward to your advice!

2. Gene Neill

Gene Neill

Joined Sep 30, 2013
    2,044 posts, 522 likes
    C-22, Albin Vega
    US central Florida
    I made crib boards for our Albin Vega out of 1/2" dark smoked acrylic. Part of the reason was aesthetics, but also the Admiral wanted to be able to see me in the cockpit at all times if she was down below in foul weather, and vice versa. There are ups and downs to acrylic (Plexiglas) vs polycarbonate (Lexan), but I'll leave that alone. Both are great.

The material was easy to work with, and I was very happy with the results. I made them two piece rather than three, but the Vega's companionway is narrower than the C22's so the boards are smaller. On a C22 I might stick with three pieces. Just determine in advance where and how you plan to store the boards, and the decision will make itself.

Before I cut the two boards into their respective shapes, I took the acrylic sheet to a local cabinetmaker and had him cut it in half with a "rabbet" (like a stair step) in the middle to keep water out. Then I cut the two boards into their proper shapes. The bottom edge of the bottom board is cut at an angle to match the wood trim it sits on. So basically, the acrylic boards are formed exactly like the wooden ones were. :)

Last but not least, you'll want to "burnish" all the edges with a blowtorch. It smooths them out and prevents microscopic cracks in the edge from getting bigger.

Before-and-after pics ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Trent Lindsey

Trent Lindsey

Joined Sep 19, 2017
    9 posts, 2 likes
    Catalina 22
    US Porterville, CA Porterville, CA
    Thanks for the reply Gene! That looks great. I prefer this look to the original boards. I will research the differences between plexiglass and lexan.

4. Ron20324

Ron20324

Joined Jan 22, 2008
    5,802 posts, 421 likes
    Beneteau 323
    US Annapolis MD
    The stuff can be heavy, so don't drop it the first time out and break it. Make some storage bags.

Trent Lindsey and Gene Neill like this.
  5. Gene Neill

Gene Neill

Joined Sep 30, 2013
    2,044 posts, 522 likes
    C-22, Albin Vega
    US central Florida
    I forget whose boat this is, I think they are or were a member here ...

[​IMG]

6. RoyS

RoyS

Joined Jun 3, 2012
    279 posts, 56 likes
    Hunter 33
    US Bay Pointe, Quincy
    Slightly off topic but the photo above displays an issue that irks me. Boat designers should not slant the companionway entry so that rain may enter the cabin. I performed a short survey in an upscale anchorage last summer and discovered that most high end boats had the companionway entry either slanted in reverse of the photo above or perfectly vertical. My own boat is lacking this feature.

7. SV_GALATEIA

SV_GALATEIA

Joined Sep 24, 2017
    13 posts, 8 likes
    Catalina 22 #14720
    US Cheboygan, MI Cheboygan
    Referencing Gene's posted photo above, what is the decal/plaque to the right of the cabin entrance.

NEW, updated Get Rid of Boat Odors
The bible of marine toilets and plumbing, expanded and updated for 2016!
Flexible steel chafe pads
Innovative new product made of flexible, laser cut stainless steel. Must see!
Noflex Sewage Treatment
Treat sludge and odor problems in holding tanks.
Stainless documentation placard
Who said a documentation placard cant be beautiful? Brushed stainless with laser-fused numerals.