Lewmar open port bug screens

Jun 14, 2007
Hunter 45cc Florida
Installing the bug screens in the lewmar opening ports is a real pain, and I am always worried about them fall out and off the boat. I modified the screen using velcro so they mount from inside the port and are easy to install and remove for closing the port. The first photo shows
IMG_4241.jpg
IMG_4244.jpg
IMG_4246.jpg
a velcro tab I glued gunned to the screen. The second photo is of small tabs I used sticky back velcro to the plastic frame. The third photo is of the screen installed and held in place by the velcro tabs.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Good concept but looks are detracted by those strips. Can you figure out a way to hide the Velcro while the screen is on?

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
I chose to throw the OEM screens away after they fell out repeatedly. Even a good breeze would take them out. To make matters worse they sink like stones. One day a breeze came up from the stern, two screens blew out and of course went over the side and sank.
Replaced them with the upgrade replacements. Pricy but much better product that fits and stays in. It’s been 9 years now and they are still serving well. Lewmar should be ashamed of themselves for the junk screens they supply as original equipment.

Last edited: