Legend 37 outhaul question

Sep 25, 2010
Hunter Legend 37 Keyport, NJ
So, I need to replace my '87 Legend 37 outhaul.
I stitched in a new line to the old line at the mast end of the boom.
I pulled the wire at the "other" end of the boom.
What came out attached to the wire is a block with the outhaul around it.
So, apparently the bitter end of the outhaul line is tied someplace inside the boom.
Joy.
I see no way to replace this line without taking the end off the boom - is that right???
I am guessing if I remove the mast end of the boom, there is a wire with the end of the outhaul attached to it.
Does anyone have some salty trick I am missing?
Thanks for any guidance....

Dec 14, 2018
Ericson/ Hunter Ericson 29 / Hunter 376 Pensacola, FL
Based on a few outhauls I have replaced my guess is you will find a pad eye on the inside of the boom near the mast end with the end of the outhaul secured to it, the single block gives you a two to one advantage. Shouldn't be a big job but the boom is heavy, tie a piece of line around each of the boom and use a halyard attached to the middle of that line to support the boom. Or if you have a topping lift you would need to support only the front of the boom.

Good luck

Sep 25, 2010
Hunter Legend 37 Keyport, NJ
That makes sense. With a small scope, I don't see a pad eye, but I see an attached wire. I assume the outhaul is tied to an eye on that wire.
This is just the first time I've had to drill out rivets to replace a line. I was hoping there was some trick I didn't know about.
Oh well. I'm off to get rivets. Thanks.

Dec 14, 2018
Ericson/ Hunter Ericson 29 / Hunter 376 Pensacola, FL
The ones Hunter used are probably stainless rivets, replace with the same type you remove. Stainless are difficult to install may require heavy duty rivet gun. Let us know what you find, pictures would be good.

Dec 18, 2012
Hunter 37.5 Annapolis
I had to take the ends off my boom on a '94 Legend 37.5. Randy R is right about stainless rivets. I bought the rivets from McMaster Carr, and bought a rivet gun from Harbor Freight. On mine I can't see how you'd replace the outhaul without taking the tack end boom fitting off.
By the way, I had to take the rivets out twice. The second time was such a pain that I replaced the rivets with stainless screws. I think the rivets were 1.4 inch dia, and I replaced them with 5/16" machine screws tapped into the end fittings.

Paul