Leaking hull

Feb 17, 2013
Catalina 30 Pensacola, FL
I have a 1980 Catalina 25 that has been out of the water for about 2 years. Splashed it today and water is entering the hull at a rate of approx. 1 gallon a minute. The only thru hull fitting below the water line is the shared outlet for the galley sink and ice box. The problem is not there. Nothing else is visible.

Does anyone have an idea where the egress is? It's a swing keel. Could the problem be associated with that?

Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
You have cockpit drains that plumb into a thru hull directly below them. If it is a swing keel then you have an opening in the bottom directly under the winch for lowering and raising this swing keel with a cable. Also, this swing keel is attached to the hull directly under that rectangle of gelcoat that the cushion goes around on the edge of the forward settee bench, if the swing keel hit something, then the hull could be cracked under that bench.

Feb 17, 2013
Catalina 30 Pensacola, FL
You have cockpit drains that plumb into a thru hull directly below them. If it is a swing keel then you have an opening in the bottom directly under the winch for lowering and raising this swing keel with a cable. Also, this swing keel is attached to the hull directly under that rectangle of gelcoat that the cushion goes around on the edge of the forward settee bench, if the swing keel hit something, then the hull could be cracked under that bench.
Thanks so much for the quick response. Water is not entering the hull either through the cockpit drains or the winch/cable opening. I'm now feeling that the issue is with a potential crack in the hull in the area under the settee as you mention. When I bought the boat the previous owner had reportedly only used it once, then trailered it, then put a fresh coat of ablative on it. Hiding something? Good chance.
Thanks again for the good info.
Kindest regards,
Chris

Nov 17, 2013
Catalina 25 Swing Keel Wallula
Just a thought. Has anyone ever pulled their boat onto the hard, then filled the hull with some water and looked for the leak from the outside?

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
A wet spot

Leaks in the hull that are very hard to find maybe the only way to find them would be from the inside out. And yes I know a friend who has done it.

Make sure the hull is dry on the outside before adding water because it will not be under pressure like in the water, so a wet spot will appear where the leak is.