Lazy Jacks

Jun 13, 2010
Hunter 1994 Hunter 35.5 Legend walker, mn
I bought a Lazy Bag from Neilpryde and there were no specific instructions on the various lengths to setup a lazy jack system....is there a way to calculate this or do I put on temporary lines until it looks right to me....thanks for any opinions....

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I bought a lazy bag from NP at the fall boat show and have been fine tuning it as recently as last night. My crew and I found trying to FLAKE DOWN THE SAIL WOULD BE EASIER IF THE FRONT PANEL- THAT GOES AROUND THE MAST- WAS REMOVEABLE. I took off the stitches on the port side, and added a YKK zipper. For that, I used a black zipper to distinguish it from the white stbd side.

For the lazy jacks, you'll have to tailor that to what attachment points you have on your boat. As for the upper connection, you can anchor them to the mast with padeyes, or connect them to a halyard to go back down to deck and/or the cockpit, as I did.

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
I bought a lazy bag from NP at the fall boat show and have been fine tuning it as recently as last night. My crew and I found trying to FLAKE DOWN THE SAIL WOULD BE EASIER IF THE FRONT PANEL- THAT GOES AROUND THE MAST- WAS REMOVEABLE. I took off the stitches on the port side, and added a YKK zipper. For that, I used a black zipper to distinguish it from the white stbd side..
I'm surprised that your front panel was not removable as shown in their installation instructions. I have a Doyle Stack Pack which is similar and also has a removable from panel. I modified my front panel a bit to include elastic cord in the upper area sleave that goes around the mast since it was on the loose side and didn't want to expose the top of the sail.

Attachments

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
From what I've been reading on here about battens snagging lazy jacks when raising the main. it would be better to install the upper attachment points at least midway on the spreaders vs the mast.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
You want to lace up a system of jacklines that angle up to the area near your top spreader or about 3/4 to the mast head. My aft two lines are a single line that route to a ring. Same for the forward two. The rings have yet another single connector through a top ring and that top ring ties off to a top lift that routes through a block midway out the spreader. That line then comes back down to a cleat on the mast about 6 feet off the deck. Use plenty of line for this final section so that you can slack it and pull all the jacklines clear of the sail and forward to your mast cleat. Study a number of sail bag installs, they all work pretty much the same way. I didn’t change anything when I went from a Doyle bag to a Neil Pryde bag.

If you don’t route the jacklines top lift to the spreaders you will likely have to slack the bag to open the jacklines “throat” and get your sail up and down. This is way easier if you bring the the top lift back down to a working height at the mast.

https://www.neilprydesails.com/images/pdf/lazy_bag.pdf

Jan 22, 2008
I'm surprised that your front panel was not removable as shown in their installation instructions. ...
The NP directions do NOT show the front cover as removeable, but rather that it is tucked in. Every other weekend I get a different crew from a pool of about 500+ club members. It is far easier to have it removable before crew gets there than to try to explain it to them. Some of these crew have never been on a sailboat, and there are those that never should be. /// Also, at the aft end of the boom groove I opened up the sail slot to put the slugs in- easpecially the loose-foot mainsail. It is alot easier than trying to bunch up the bag at the front of the boom.

Jun 13, 2010
I was planning on a pad eye half way between the two sets of spreaders but instead we are going to use the lower spreaders to secure the jacks..I centered the jackline on the spreader bar so the bag stays open....it's a temporary install to make sure it works....I don't know if it is high enough on the mast but I will post my results as we are going to finish this up tomm.....35.5 legend

Jan 22, 2008
I was planning on a pad eye half way between the two sets of spreaders but instead we are going to use the lower spreaders to secure the jacks..I centered the jackline on the spreader bar so the bag stays open....it's a temporary install to make sure it works....I don't know if it is high enough on the mast but I will post my results as we are going to finish this up tomm.....35.5 legend
That lower spreader sounds like a wise plan, Dog. I changed the OEM bag to a regular sail cover and lazy jacks, but the OEM pad eyes were not far enough apart on the spreaders. Maybe integrate some flag halyard into the jack's pad eye. Still, if you release the hoist of the bag, gravity will open it up some. I even toyed with the idea of a line from the front top edge of the bag(or higher up on the lazy jack rings) out to the shrouds. They could be applied/release from the deck.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2010
Finished installing the Neilpryde Lazy Bag...Looks good but I need to make refinements...the bag has a flat area on top where the zipper is....and this is a massive collection point for water...Last night it rained 1.5 inches and I had a lot of water on top of and inside the bag on my sail.....I plan on adding a couple of grommets on both sides and pulling together the battens and tying the bag shut on top when I am away from the boat...otherwise, it's fine....I was able to raise the main and douse it into the bag on my own without issue....and that's a lot more than I can say when trying to tie the sail ties on a new sail...heres a picture

Attachments

Jan 22, 2008
The NP LazyBag for my B323 looks about the same. I had that same water collecting problem with my OEM bag. Raise the sail, and water dumped out of the sail folds and onto the cabin top and into the opened ports. I assumed it was the hi bimini frame not allowing the aft of the boom to be low to let the water run off. There was no way to change the bimini height. Alongside the zipper i sewed in a welt to act like a rain gutter, but that was not much-if any-help. Finally had the OEM cover rotting away, so made a regular sail cover and used the lines for lazy jacks to the boom. Some years of newbies not very talented at putting a sail cover on, bought the NP at the boat show last year. Still have the water collections, so will lay in the sail cover when the baot see a storm coming, Also, will put a couple grommets in the bottom of the bag to drain water as is happens.