Registered users don't see ads

Lake Fontana North Carolina

Discussion in 'Trailer Sailors' started by rgranger, Aug 3, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. rgranger

rgranger

Joined Jan 19, 2010
    4,958 posts, 897 likes
    Hunter 26
    US Smith Mountain Lake
    last week I rented a pontoon boat for the day and scouted lake Fontana.

It is a high altitude lake (read cool and low humidity) that is very primitive. It has only 3 “marinas” on the lake and it is a stretch calling them marinas. I was there on a Saturday and only saw three other boats. There is no development on the shores but a few house boats moored in select coves.

It is a primitive ghunkholer’s paradice.

Is there any interest in organizing an SBO raft-up for next July? I’d be willing to coordinate it if there is interest. D464E570-6F69-4DD5-B2A0-87D8A7D1FFC5.jpeg 1B1F1CE3-841C-4B09-A93E-5C38CE78CEA7.jpeg
    upload_2018-8-3_17-31-42.jpeg

Attached Files:

Will Gilmore and Kermit like this.
  2. LeeandRick

LeeandRick

Joined Apr 26, 2015
    392 posts, 124 likes
    S2 26 Mid
    US Lake Havasu
    That's a beautiful lake. If I still had a motorcycle, and Lee would pull the boat, I might think about doing the 4000 mile round trip. To ride the Tail of the Dragon one more time would be worth it.

3. jwilcoxon78

jwilcoxon78

Joined Apr 11, 2014
    61 posts, 6 likes
    Hunter 260
    US Lake Lanier
    Hmm. We may be interested. Although we'll have to see how it's going with our youngest then. He'll only be 1.5 years old so sailing has been put on hold at the moment.

4. rgranger

rgranger

Joined Jan 19, 2010
    4,958 posts, 897 likes
    Hunter 26
    US Smith Mountain Lake
    Okay
    PM me and I’ll start a post where we can kick around ideas

5. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore

Joined Oct 19, 2017
    2,744 posts, 1,170 likes
    O'Day 19
    US Littleton, NH
    I'm interested.
    To early for commitments, but I use to sail lake Norman with my hobie. NC is a great place to sail. I love the idea.

- Will (Dragonfly)

jwilcoxon78 and rgranger like this.
  6. rgranger

rgranger

Joined Jan 19, 2010
    4,958 posts, 897 likes
    Hunter 26
    US Smith Mountain Lake
    G
    great
    Maybe a Facebook page would be the easiest way to organize it??

7. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore

Joined Oct 19, 2017
    2,744 posts, 1,170 likes
    O'Day 19
    US Littleton, NH
    Not for me it wouldn't be. I'm told I have a Facebook page, but I don't know how to login. If you did it on Facebook, I'm sure, with my degrees in computer science, I could figure it out.

- Will (Dragonfly)

8. pateco

pateco

Joined Aug 12, 2014
    2,102 posts, 551 likes
    Hunter 31 (1983)
    US Pompano Beach FL
    Love that lake, but my boat is not that portable.

9. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore

Joined Oct 19, 2017
    2,744 posts, 1,170 likes
    O'Day 19
    US Littleton, NH
    I talked to my wife and she is very interested too. :)
    I hope you get lots of interest, rgranger. I'd love to meet any and all of you all.
    I can supply some eggs for breakfast and maybe turkey sandwiches (free range turkey sandwiches ;)).

- Will (Dragonfly)

10. rgranger

rgranger

Joined Jan 19, 2010
    4,958 posts, 897 likes
    Hunter 26
    US Smith Mountain Lake
    Free range? Is that wild turkey?

11. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore

Joined Oct 19, 2017
    2,744 posts, 1,170 likes
    O'Day 19
    US Littleton, NH
    Close but still quite domesticated. Lookup 'heritage turkeys'.

- Will (Dragonfly)

12. rgranger

rgranger

Joined Jan 19, 2010
    4,958 posts, 897 likes
    Hunter 26
    US Smith Mountain Lake
    Will

Would you prefer a 4 or 5 day weekend or a week-long thing? Once we settle on a time frame we can pick a date. Then we open it up and let people join in if they like.

How does that sound?

13. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore

Joined Oct 19, 2017
    2,744 posts, 1,170 likes
    O'Day 19
    US Littleton, NH
    At this point, I'm open. Linda and I have been talking about finding a place to store Dragonfly near Punta Gorda, Fl for the Winters so we can have her down in an area we love, for when we want some Winter relief, she suggested this might be a good opportunity to tow Dragonfly down then. I don't know what kind of time I can commit to yet, but five days sounds like a good target length. Maybe a Thursday thru Monday (long weekend). If we made it a week long, other sailors could come and go as they get the chance.
    Lake Fontana is near the Natahala River. Great kayak and rafting spot for beginners.

- Will (Dragonfly)

jwilcoxon78 likes this.
  14. rgranger

rgranger

Joined Jan 19, 2010
    4,958 posts, 897 likes
    Hunter 26
    US Smith Mountain Lake
  15. jwilcoxon78

jwilcoxon78

Joined Apr 11, 2014
    61 posts, 6 likes
    Hunter 260
    US Lake Lanier
    I used to kayak the Nantahala all the time. I've never towed the boat there though. Something's telling me it'll be a different experience from then to now. Ford Ranger with a 7foot kayak in the bed to an F150 with a 26 foot boat that has an 8'6" beam (shh, they could be watching). Rgranger, how did access look for the ramp? Steep?

16. rgranger

rgranger

Joined Jan 19, 2010
    4,958 posts, 897 likes
    Hunter 26
    US Smith Mountain Lake
    This area is kayak heavan. I have kayaked the tuckaseege many times.

I looked at four different ramps. The ones maintained by the park service were all in good shape.

jwilcoxon78 and Will Gilmore like this.
  17. MisterR6

MisterR6

Joined Mar 29, 2015
    49 posts, 28 likes
    MacGregor 25
    US trailer sailer
    Fontana is a beautiful lake, I won a mountain bike race that used to be held there! Dual slalom down the dam. Lots of fun. Awesome place for a refreshing motorcycle ride. The dragons tail isnt too far from there. Never been on the water there before. Only about two hours or so from home. So I may be interested schedule permitting.

18. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore

Joined Oct 19, 2017
    2,744 posts, 1,170 likes
    O'Day 19
    US Littleton, NH
    It looks like there's a nice marina on the West end, Fontana Village Resort Marina, and a couple of choices on the East end, Alarka Boat Dock and Prince boat dock. There are quite a few public launch ramps, but most seem to be concentrated to the East end. I can't find definative information on camping and campfires on the shore, but it looks pretty open for that kind of thing. The catfish look great coming out of there:)yum!

- Will (Dragonfly)

19. rgranger

rgranger

Joined Jan 19, 2010
    4,958 posts, 897 likes
    Hunter 26
    US Smith Mountain Lake
    Prince was not a great place to launch. Parking is a problem and the ramp is not great. The ramp by the damn marina is ideal and the several of the public launches are very good as well.

Gray Enterprises port gasket
Stop winter leaks. Compare our price!
Stainless documentation placard
Who said a documentation placard cant be beautiful? Brushed stainless with laser-fused numerals.
Noflex Sewage Treatment
Treat sludge and odor problems in holding tanks.
Winch covers
Any brand, every size, any color!