Kick-up rudder on O'Day 192

May 21, 2015
Oday 192 Mahtomedi, MN
I acquired an O'Day 192. Something is wrong with the rudder kick-up rigging. The rudder neither pulls up nor drops down using the line attached to the tiller. Please describe how that should be rigged properly. Thanks.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
I have modified mine significantly. I installed solid teak into the headstock, replacing most of the tubular spacers riveted in place. The original design is flimsy, even more so after 25 years and the rivets start to loosen. I run the downhaul line up through the pintle brackets using small fairleads. Then, it runs up to a cheek block I installed on the tiller, and forward to an auto-releasing clam cleat. (Which released on me once in shallow water while I was motoring at little more than idle, in a complete humidity daze. The bang of the cleat releasing scared the hell out of me, as I didn't expect skinny water where I was! But at least I know that auto-releasing clam cleats really work...) As for lifting up the rudder blade, I drilled a hole in the trailing edge of the blade, about 1/3 of the way down. I attached a 3/16" line, up over the after corner of the headstock, and forward along the tiller to a clam cleat mounted on the top of the tiller. In order to raise the blade, I must reach over the transom and press the top of the blade head in, because the uphaul line can't lift due to the angles, until the blade has started to come up. (The rudder was never designed with a lifting uphaul line.) I have pictures, but not until I get home. I might have posted the pics some time ago, so you could try to search my posts and see what I've put up.